252 sportcraft cuddy to cc conversion

b-rock252

Recruit
I own a 252 sportcraft fishmaster. Cuddy cabin just seems to be a large trashcan and a waste of space. I want to convert it to cc. I have a lot of construction and fiberglassing experience. Love the boat and the way it performs with a straight inboard. Any suggestions or things to watch out for???

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 252 sportcraft cuddy to cc conversion

Wow - I also have a Sportcraft 252 inboard and cannot even imagine trying to handle that type of conversion myself. Good luck and keep us informed about your progress. That would make a great thread for the restoration forum.

b-rock252

Recruit

Will do. I used to work at the Hatteras Yacht plant doing fiberglass and my dad and I have done many projects like this. I'm picking up the tee top this week. Hope it goes to plan. Guna level the deck as well as put in ribs in the front for structural support. How do u like your 252??

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our 252 is a great boat - stringers and transom are solid. The motor is a Mercruiser 350 MAG with a rebuilt long block less than 600 hrs old and a new Velvet Drive with less than 100 hrs. We got a really good buy on the boat a year ago. I built a rod storage rack for the port side of the cuddy and we also store downriggers and other fishing gear inside. Our problem is we don't get to use it enough. It's about 5 hours to our favorite place on Chesapeake Bay and 8 hours to Lake Ontario.

b-rock252

Recruit

Yea that's a pretty long drive. I can leave my house and be going through ocracoke inlet in about an hour and a half. Mostly snapper and grouped fishing. My boat is 1997 model and motor and gearbox we replaced brand new in 2007. Got about 80 hours on it. What kinda speed can u get out of yours??

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We usually cruise at about 3200 - 3600 RPM and that gives us a GPS speed of 23 - 25 MPH.