Thoughts on the SS-195

h60driver

Recruit
I've been looking for a relatively inexpensive boat to do some salmon fishing on Lake Michigan, something that my 14ft Lund doesn't get to do very often for obvious reasons. I notice from time to time that late 60's to mid 70's SS-195's pop up on Craigslist in the 1500-2500 range. I took one out for a test while I was stationed in Alabama, it had an I/O jet drive on it, and it broke down while we were in the middle of the lake. Following that, I have always liked the way these boats looked and they seem pretty solid. I was just wondering if there were any trouble spots I should be looking for when i go look at them, what kind of water they are good for generally, and how they are on fuel. I have seen them pop up with both 4cyls, and the inline 6. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys!

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Thoughts on the SS-195

Hi h60:

I have a Grew/Slickcraft SS 215 with an inline six. Slickcraft was built in Holland Michigan for use on the Great Lakes. Great boats and with the inline six almost indestructible. Just take the normal precautions when buying a used boat, dry hull, transom and stringers and the engine turns. In an old boat there will always be some work to do but rest assured they are excellent boats.

kilowatts

jacura90

Recruit
Re: Thoughts on the SS-195

i have one and swapped in a 350 4 bolt main. love it. i can get her up to around 75mph before i have to slow down. i haven't been able to open her up for real yet, but when i do i can see 90. solid boat easy to work on. and reliable if you treat it right