SS 215 rebuild

cajun33

Recruit
I recently bought a 1976 SS 215 with the intent of restoring/rebuilding it. I know NOTHING about these boats... Can anyone give any tips/pointers/facts regarding this boat. I just dropped in the rebuilt motor and I have the rest of the boat stripped down for the most part, so I am now staring a blank canvas...

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: SS 215 rebuild

Hi:

I'm also the proud owner of a 1976 Slickcraft/Grew SS215 made under licence by Grew in Penetanguishine, Ontario, Canada. In my opinion these boats are one of the best kept secrets in boating and are well worth restoring. In my case I've replaced almost every screw and nut and bolt on the boat along with replacing the sub-floor and rebuilding the engine. While this doesn't make me an expert it gives me a certain amount of experience.
These boats were built when the manufacturers didn't know how little material they could get away with so they tended to overbuild. The SS215 handles the water very well as they were designed for the great lakes. The Slickers family own the S2 yacht brand which includes Slickcraft, Tiara and Pursuit which followed the Slickcraft brand after it was sold to AMF. They are all excellent products. I'm sure with a bit of research you can find websites which will explain the chronology of the businesses.
What engine do you have in your boat?

kilowatts

Huron Angler

Admiral

http://www.tiarayachts.com/Brix?pageID=62

This link has a little history on the Slickcraft story. They are known here in Michigan as quality big water hulls and I see them all over the place. Built in Holland, MI near Grand Rapids.

Good luck on the restoration, what I/O did you drop in?

cajun33

Recruit

It has the 302 in it for this season. I am having trouble with the hydraulic lift system attached to the motor mounts (previous owner disconnected everything) I have NO IDEA how to hook everything back up, or if it still functions. Hull is very solid with only a few nicks and dings from beaching. I will try to get some pics posted as soon as I get the time to do so.