looking for family boat--smitten w/ Slickcraft

JW_Spencer

Recruit
I have recently begun to look for a powerboat -- low budget $3k-$5k, preferably under $3K. It will be primarily a bay boat for use in the Puget Sound (Seattle WA area) for crabbing, fishing, tubing, and skiing. For some days (a week at a time) in the summer it will be bouyed and subsequently beached on low tides. The towing capacity of my rig is ~3600#~3800# with trailer brakes. I have really fallen for these old Slickcrafts -- they are gorgeous, and by all accounts, well built and strong (I worry about deadheads). However, they seem to be a little rare in the PNW. The aray of model numbers is a little confusing. I am open to runabouts, small cuddy's, and open bows. Even the 177 SX looks good, although perhaps a bit too precious and faster than I need. It has been suggested that an outboard would be best for my intended use also for durability and reliability. But there does not seem to be unifromity of opinion. It seems that I could go as big as an SS215. I am not in a hurry. I do not have the spare time or desire to do any rebuilding or restoration-- my children are young (5 & 7). Any suggestions as to which models I might consider and what things I should closely inspect...anything I should avoid? Any other manufacturers that you might recommend?
Thank you and all the best,
JWS

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: looking for family boat--smitten w/ Slickcraft

Hi There:

I have a Grew SS215 which is identical to the Slickcraft SS215. They were built under license by Grew in Penetanguishine, Ontario, Canada. As I live and boat in Vancouver, BC I can say that a 215 would be the ideal boat for the Pacific Northwest for use in the ocean and in the lakes. They are good and solid and I believe them to be one of the best kept secrets in the boating community. Dollar for dollar I can't see how they can be beaten. Take a look at the Skipjack website, their 24 foot is almost identical to the Slickcraft SS235 and than check the price. There's simply no comparison. Keep watching Craigslist and Yachtworld and you'll likely find what you're looking for before summer.

Good luck:

Kilowatts

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

We too have an SS215. A good sized boat with the cuddy cabin. I wouldn't mind having the next one bigger with the hard top but bigger makes for more issues with towing and launching and fuel use etc. I do like the look of the bigger one though.

There is one for sale here locally that looks interesting. It would require some work by the sound of the ad and it is a long way from you but it would be quite a boat when fixed up. And yes, I read that you don't want a project boat.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...ts-1972-30-Express-Cruiser-W0QQAdIdZ147491633

But where else are you going to get that much boat for so little? Not mine, no affiliation, I have not even seen it - my wife won't let me go look.

Randy

JW_Spencer

Recruit

I don't know what it is, but every time I see a Slickcraft, I just stop in my tracks and go gaga. I realize why boats are referred to as female. I am close to buying a Wahoo 1850 w/ '91 Yamaha 150 - unsinkable Whaler quality knockoff. An SS 215 was just listed. It has been repowered with a 351. I like the idea of a small bay boat, but I like the SS 215. I like both boats for different reasons. The cuddy and windshield are nice for the kids (it's always colder on the water here in the NW). Is the SS 215 a decent ski boat? I have gleaned that 2 stroke motors are less efficient, but I am not sure how to factor. Would the fuel economy of the bigger SS 215 with a V8 be similar or substantially different than the smaller Wahoo (18.5' Whaler type hull) with 150hp 2 stroke? Is the I/O more maintenance than an OB in a salt water environment? It will be buoyed up to a week or two at a time (beached at low tides). How much would boat and trailer ~weigh?
jws

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know as though I can answer your questions but I do have a suggestion. Be wary of flat bottomed boats. They go fast in smooth water but ride really hard in rough water. Whalers are usually pretty flat at the back and will not handle rough water very well (let me add a caveat - I am not all that familiar with Whalers - I just looked at one and commented that I liked them and the fellow at the Marina who is a friend told me I wouldn't like it for the reason noted above - I do not know if there are deep v whalers but the one I looked at was not)

I would not buy anything that was not a deep v hull unless I intended to use it in very protected waters. We boat on Lake of the Woods in NW Ontario so not like the ocean but still some rough water when the wind blows. I want to be able to get home when the wind comes up. We had an 18 foot Starcraft aluminum boat that was not deep V and I will not have another one.

Randy