Looking at a 1973 AMF Slickcraft SS 160

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all you Iboaters....

I sold my last boat, a newer Sea Ray becuase it was a bit too much to trailer. I am looking at an older Slickcraft I really like with a 1985 90HP Merc tower of power....motor is great....what about the boat...any advice....issues...recommendations?

Thanks All,

MS

96mk9lsc

Cadet
Re: Looking at a 1973 AMF Slickcraft SS 160

Hi there! I'm new to boats in general, but from what I've read Slickcraft was a decent boat. Mine's a '71 SS-195 I/O, in the process of finishing-up a stringer and deck replacement. I'm sure you are aware of the potential for needing to replace stringers, transom and deck on a 35+ year old boat. Good luck with your decision!

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,

I have looked at abotu 30 boats in the past 5 years...purchased and sold one. I have found many with "soft spots" in the floors and kept moving along. Your a better mechanic than me, I am not ready for that type of work, although someday I think I would take it on. Right now, I have 5 kids and sometimes don't have time to cut the grass.

Anyway, the floor was rock solid all around and in-between. These boats do seem well built. I am guessing if the floors are rock solid, the stringers should be too...right???? You have me wondering now.

I really like the closed bow look of older boats...this one has great lines, kind of like an old Mopar or Buick.

Anyway, I looked all over and can't find the weight of the boat. I am guessing as an older 16 foot boat, closed bow, but with a heavy build this thing must weight about 1200 to 1400 lbs....does that sound right to anyone reading this?

If anyone knows where to find specs on these older boats, let me know.

Thanks to all

MS

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

I'll look through my slickcraft stuff and see what i can find for ya. You can also track that info and more from the MSN slickcraft owners group. I have a 1970 SS-215 and it's solid. Their well built and are protected well from water intrusion. They used good material not like the crap they use today. Built to last like my old Mopar 63 dodge 880. Still has all the brake line clips on the frame to hold the lines. Today a car 3 years old has rust because of cheap material. I dont think you'll be disapointed to own the boat. They also ride like a dream. The hull design is awesome. Good luck. ;)

cbressoud

Recruit

I saw this old post and wondered if you bought the slickcraft? My son and I picked up a 73 sk160 last weekend with a 115 tower of power. Needs lots of cosmetic work but is pretty sound mechanically. Do you have any pics?

Thanks
Chuck Bressoud