SS195 Project

96mk9lsc

Cadet
Thought I'd start a thread about my first boat project.

First, thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and information on this site. I'd be nowhere near as far along without you all.

A little background on the boat, it's a '71 Slickcraft SS195, 17' I/O Mercruiser inline 6 cylinder 250-cu.in. w/165-hp. Bought it from a fellow who had it advertised in the local trading post. First time I saw it I knew it was what I wanted. Something priced within my budget for a first boat, to see if boating was for me, and a neat looking style in my opinion. Previous owner had receipts for all work he had done over a four year period. Most significant was for replacing the lower unit when he damaged it hitting something with his new SS prop. That one receipt was more than twice what he wanted for the boat, trailer, safety equipment, ski vests and ropes, dock lines, brand new anchor, tube, etc. The obvious problems were heavy oxidation on the red gelcoat, and the sole had been cut to replace the fuel tank, but never closed the wood nor replaced the carpet and seats. All the seats were there, just not mounted. Water had gotten under the wood and rotted the inner port side stringer as well as the center stringer. Floatation foam was holding water. Otherwise it appeared to be all original and in good shape for it's age.

I'll make another post about the work I've done and add some pictures.

If anyone needs specific information on this model Slickcraft, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll be glad to share whatever I can. :)

96mk9lsc

Cadet
Re: SS195 Project

Here's a little update on my project. After using a skillsaw to cut the deck about 4" from the bond to the hull, and pulling out the floatation foam, the center stringer and port side inner stringer were cut out using a 4" side grinder and cutoff wheel. Ground the remains even with the hull using a 60-grit sanding wheel on the side grinder. Picked-up a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood for the stringers, and transfered height measurements on 6" increments along the stringer bed to bottom of the deck (a couple of places needed closer increments due to sharper angle transitions). Once the stringers were rough cut I used the sanding wheel to bevel the bottom edges where needed. After wiping the hull with acetone where the stringers would be bedded, I used 3M 5200 to set the stringers about 1/4" above the hull, and created a radius with the excess along each side with my finger. The front bulkhead of the fuel tank bilge was also replaced using 3/4" plywood. Next I cut some 5" wide strips of fiberglass mat to bond the stringers to the hull, as well as the fuel tank bilge bulkheads (front and rear). A new deck was cut from a sheet of 1/2" marine plywood and double coated on both sides with resin. Reinforcements made of 3/4" plywood double coated with resin were attached with 5200 under the seat pedestal locations. All raw wood edges where existing deck was cut were treated to two coats of resin. The original starboard side inner stringer was in good shape except along the top edge at the fuel tank bilge where a previous owner ran several wood screws into it to tie the deck down where cut to replaced the fuel tank, and never sealed watertight. This portion was covered with resin and a layer of mat draped over the top and sides to seal the wood and give a better surface to bond the deck. Plywood strips were cut and double coated with resin before attaching to the perimeter of the deck cutout (sistered to the sides of the existing outer stringers, and under the existing deck across the front) using 5200 and stainless steel screws. Fuel tank was then reinstalled with 1/4" thick rubber pads between the tank and bilge bottom. Finally a 1/4" bead of 5200 was applied to the top the stringers and where wood was sistered along the perimeter of the deck cutout. The new deck was set in place and weighted down with a couple hundred pounds. I chose not to screw the deck down, relying solely on the 5200 to hold it down. I'm waiting for a warm day to pour the floatation foam through two sets of three holes along each side between the inner and outer stringers, and two holes between the two inner stringers (I did experiment with pouring the foam in this cavity before the deck was installed, but left an inch or two shy of the deck).

Here's an up to date picture:

Attachments

• SS195 new deck.jpg
    SS195 new deck.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

96mk9lsc

Cadet

We had a warm day yesterday, so I was able to pour the floatation foam under the new deck. Next will be to glass the deck and install the front pedestal seats. Probably will leave the rear seats out for now, one needs some upholstery work. Still undecided on carpet, vinyl or epoxy paint. Should be ready for the maiden voyage in the next week or so, depending on the weather and my friend with his boat in case of trouble. I don't think I've been so excited in years!

pj sullie

Recruit

Send more pictures. I just found out were the gas tank is?
Thanks man.....

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Awesome. Looking forward to following this restore thread. I have an SS170V from the same vintage.

Kelly Squier

Recruit

How exciting! I've been looking for a site like this for years. Our Family Boat just so happens to be a Beautiful Red, 1970 SS195 with the 165 HP Bullet proof Chevy. The boat was purchased new by my father inlaw and other than the motor it was entirely restored back in 1990.
These boats are truly amazing to look at, ride in or drive. The 165 HP is a Great match for this boat with the perfect power to weight ratio and is one of the finest handling sky boats I have ever driven.
This boat was Pops pride and joy and is in very nice condition. It has always been stored and cared for properly so we've never had any problems with wood deteriation.
I cannot even begin to tell you how many hours this boat has actually accumulated over the years as I am sure the hour meter has rolled over several times and the motor still purs like a kitten, however the Alpha outdrive has been rebuilt several times over the years. We run a 3 blade SS 19" Prop which is the perfect match for this set up. If I could buy a new boat, I'd buy one exactly like this boat! They just don't make them like this boat. I look forward to your progress and if you want to sell it, let me know. Good Luck! Kelly

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Awesome. Looking forward to following this restore thread. I have an SS170V from the same vintage.

Just realized this thread is over two years old:eek:

I suppose his boat has been restored by now and he is happily boating while we wait here for pics!

Alpop1

Recruit

Hi everyone, I have a 1972 or 1973 SS195. It has the Ford 188 horsepower engine. Can ANYONE share any info on this boat? Specs, problems, likes, dislikes? The #1 problem I've had with the boat is the fuel tank. It may need replacement. Any suggestions?