Trouble shooting milky oil

macs82supreme

Recruit
I have a 82 Ski Supreme that I had endless problems with last year. I did not properly drain exhaust manifolds before the first freeze. I ended up with I tiny pinhole on the underside of each exhaust manifold pretty much right in the middle. I started this year right bought a brand new carburator a Mallory distributor and it was running great. First time in years. However I noticed that there was oil coming out of the dipstick. It was not above the fill mark. The oil was a little milky. I have a friend that is a marine mechanic and he thought that I could have an internal crack in the exhaust manifold. I went to buy exhaust manifold gaskets and the guy at the parts store said he thought it would be a bad head gasket or cracked head. I am concerned that it could also be a cracked block or a combination of any of the above. I don't know where to start. It is only the middle of may and I have already sunk over 1200 into this boat. How do I identify what the real problem is? I also heard pcv valve. I know just enough to be dangerous and or replace parts. Please help.

macs82supreme

Recruit
Re: Trouble shooting milky oil

So I removed the exhaust manifolds and they appear to be ok. I was told that if there is no visable rust inside that they were not cracked internally. Does anyone know if that is correct? I hope so because i destroyed every drillbit and spent 4 hours trying to get 6 bolts out.
So where do i go next?

Mouse2

Recruit
Re: Trouble shooting milky oil

You likely have a cracked head or a bad head gasket. The easiest way to figure out which side is bad is to do a leak down test. Most automotive shops can do this for you, or you can buy a tester and do it yourself. You'll need to rotate the motor over by hand as you do this to make sure the valves are closed while you test each cylinder. That would account for the pressure in the crackcase pushing the oil out of the dipstick also. Did you pull the drain plugs out of the heads last year?