New Silverline Owner

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
We just brought home a 1973 Comoro 19v with a 165hp Mercruiser today. Really good shape for the year. Never been in salt water and it shows.

I don't know anything about these boats so any advice would be appreciated.

Does anyone know how many gallons the fuel tank is?

Attachments

• IMG_5501.jpg
    IMG_5501.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5506.JPG
    IMG_5506.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5505.JPG
    IMG_5505.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5507.JPG
    IMG_5507.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Re: New Silverline Owner

Nice boat - I've got the '72 Comoro 17T (tri-hull). I'm surprised that your 19 only has a 165 (that's what mine has, but OMC). My boat is pretty heavy for it's size, but rides nicely. I like the build of the boats. Silverline was one of many builders during the 70's but folks who own them seem to like them.

Trailer tires look tiny ... are they the right tires?

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. The tires and wheels are sort of small. The former owner said this is the trailer that came with the boat when he bought it in 2004 from the original owner. I don't think larger ones could fit under the fenders unless I modified the fender mounting.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow nice looking boat. Yes, they were heavy from the factory and the tri-hull was the popular one but the Deep V does ride MUCH better.

Looks good be sure to check the structure for rot and water logged foam.

southkogs

Staff member

If you don't have far to go, and it rolls nice, don't sweat the tires for now. I've just never seen that before ... might work just fine.

Your interior is almost exactly the same as mine (but you've got the cool logo stamp in the top of your seats :D). I love the floor (vinyl I think) they used in these ... it cleans up EASY. The feaux smoke wood stuff on the trim work has hung in pretty well, and the lounge hardware for the seats is pretty robust. Hopefully you don't have to change any of that stuff out, 'cause you should like what's there.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

The overall structure is great. The original owner kept it in a garage when not in use so it is not rotted at all.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll have to trailer it for awhile to see. The tires are 4.80s on 8" rims and I could go the next larger sized tires for the 8" rims , if that would make a difference. I plan to trailer the boat to Canada in a few weeks (650 miles one way).

The seats are in great shape with one small tear on the cockpit seat side panel. The fake woodgrain pieces are mostly ok but I'm thinking of making replacements out of some marine plywood and staining to match.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Nice looking comoro, I think that wa one of the more popular Silverlines as I have seen a bunch of them. As for the trailer tires, check the load rating (it should say on the side of the tire). You want them to add up to the approx weight of the boat and trailer. If all that checks out you should be good to go.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tires that are on now are 4.80 x 8 load range B. Previous owner says they are about 4 years old. If I was trailering just local, those tires would be ok, but as I plan to trailer some distance, those won't do. I just ordered four 5.70 x 8 load range C tires and I will feel more comfortable with those installed.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Those should be alot better. The nice thing about 8" tires is they are pretty cheap, unlike the 14's I need for mine :facepalm:

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went on my maiden voyage on the lake yesterday and the Comoro ran quite well considering it hasn't run on over a year. Only two issues are:
None of the original gauges; oil press, amp, trim, fuel, and tach work. The only one that does is the temp gauge which is an aftermarket replacement. Engine temp was between 190 - 200 degrees. I assume that is an ok range.

The engine fired right up and idled down but when I put it into gear, it died. Took a few tries to get into gear. I attributed that to not being run for awhile (old gas) but even after over an hour of running, it still did it.

southkogs

Staff member

I went on my maiden voyage on the lake yesterday and the Comoro ran quite well considering it hasn't run on over a year.
Congratulations!!

...Engine temp was between 190 - 200 degrees.
I would think your operating temp should be closer to 160? or so. If you've not changed it, your impeller is probably in need of changing. Might check the thermostat out too.

I'm not familiar enough with the shifting on a Mercruiser to be sure, but that should be a mechanical shift. You might want to check the cable out and see if it's working right.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. The previous owner told me he put a new impeller kit in the beginning of last season but didn't use the boat much after. It seems to pump water fine though. I will need to find out what temp thermostat is required and take a look at that.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I would check your thermostat if the water pump is newer. It could be a false reading with the gauge to, hard to tell. I would check the power source for your gauges as they are usually all wired from the the same power source.

As for the shifting issue, there is a shift interrupt swith which kills power to the motor for a second untill it goes into gear. It might be a little sticky causing it to die when shifting into gear.

freezer41

Cadet

nice seats, my lounges are all beat up. (collapsed frame, tear in vinyl)

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any idea where I could find the total weight of my Comoro 19V with the Mercruiser 165? I am looking for a new trailer and need to know.

southkogs

Staff member

HERE is the dry weight. None of the literature on the Classic Silverline website have weights. When I was trying to figure mine out I added another 700 for engine and drive (total guess).

My boat is roughly the same dry weight as yours and sits on a single axle 3,500 lb trailer. You can see it in the first pic in THIS thread. I'm pretty sure it's not the original trailer (I don't think these wide track types were used as much in the early 70's), but it's been a gem to launch and load from/to.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. I did see on the site the weight of the outboard model but wasn't sure of an estimate of the motor and sterndrive. With fuel and gear, it would likely top at about 2000lbs.

southkogs

Staff member

Thanks for the info. I did see on the site the weight of the outboard model but wasn't sure of an estimate of the motor and sterndrive. With fuel and gear, it would likely top at about 2000lbs.

Yikes! I'm a doofus - sorry about that. Missed the outboard part. THIS is 1970's model with the weight.

I guessed mine at about 2000# too.