restoring 1973 17' tri hull bowrider

mechaniic

Recruit
Last fall I purchased a 17 foot 1973 silverline tri hull, bowrider. Then I left for Florida for the winter. Before I left, I noticed the steering was more than stiff. I suspect the teleflex cable bad. I am not yet in location of the boat, so I have not done any work on it yet. I will be going up there in a couple of weeks. Just musing about getting started on it.

Question; are there any shop manuals / parts manuals available for these boats? I understand this company was bought out in 1980.
I wonder if I can get a cable to replace the old one, or am I facing a complete steering system replacement.
Any coments appreciated.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: restoring 1973 17' tri hull bowrider

Welcome aboard mechaniic!

I think you might have the same boat as mine. The manual you'd have would generally not have steering stuff with it. I was fortunate that the PO on my boat saved the steering manual if I ever decide to try to restore it. What type of drive do you have? Merc, OMC, outboard? Depending on your steering setup, you might be able to get the cable only ... I had to re-do my whole set (wasn't too bad).

mechaniic

Recruit

thanks for the reply. I figuered shop manuals would be hard to find. Look forward to getting into it and getting more insite from you. ( hope I'm doing this right I've had a heck of a time getting into this forum )

mechaniic

Recruit

I tryed to add to my last response, "This boat is rigged OMC, Got an 85 Evanrude

southkogs

Staff member

Wow ... a '17 with an 85hp? I know stern drive hp and OB hp aren't quite the same, but I've got 165 horses behind mine. But don't let that bug ya' - those old Evinrudes are pretty tough engines and a re-power on an outboard is usually pretty easy.

You can get steering stuff here on iBoats. I just put a Teleflex Rack system in mine and it's working great. The outboard should be pretty easy to do.