"New" Silverline Comoro 18 owner

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone...

New Comoro 18 owner!!!

Its a project thats for sure. 6 cyl., 165 mercruiser. The previous owner bought the boat and trailer for the trailer. I took a look at it on craigslist and bought it sight unseen. I had to travel form West Central Minnesota to St. Louis to pick it up. It has no interior (seats or carpet)and the floor has already been replaced. It looks like the PO started a project and lost interest.

I don't know much about the engine just yet. Its been raining here so I can't spend alot of time "Researching".

The out drive looks fine. THe controls work as intended, Throttle moves, out drive engages... I just hope that the engine will be okay. I did pull the dipstick. The oils is dark but has a "Gasoline smell"... I haven't tried to spin the motor. From what I can tell, the engine has been converted to HEI, it has a new starter and fuel pump. The gas tank is missing...

Like I said, a "Project Boat"

as soon as I can, I will post some pics... Its going to be a fun summer...

Thanks for listening!!!'

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: "New" Silverline Comoro 18 owner

She is a 1973'. Green upper and beige lower. I need interior too... :( I talked with a fellow Lion here in Frazee MN and he is quite certain that he built this boat... He worked for Moorhead Plastics from 1971 - 1975 in the finish division.

Taking my time with this one. My Son in law sold me his 20' rinker deck boat. I have been enjoying that one. If I could get the Silverline into the garage, i bet I could do some good to the old gal... I did notice that I have to change out all of the shift cables. Goes into F fine. N, fine... R.... not so fine... I just changed out the lower cable on the rinker and that was alot of "fun"...:eek:

I finally spun the motor. No nasty noises. Compression seems okay. I pulled three of the 6 plugs and they aren't rusty. I need to get a compression tester. Now I need to pull the carb, rebuild it and apply some new ignition parts, spark and fuel and then see where we are. I know that an impeller is in the very near future.

I hope to turn this into a Resto thread come fall...

thanks for asking!!!

nuboat2me (Jeff)

chrysoflax

Recruit

She is a 1973'. Green upper and beige lower. I need interior too... :( I talked with a fellow Lion here in Frazee MN and he is quite certain that he built this boat... He worked for Moorhead Plastics from 1971 - 1975 in the finish division.

Taking my time with this one. My Son in law sold me his 20' rinker deck boat. I have been enjoying that one. If I could get the Silverline into the garage, i bet I could do some good to the old gal... I did notice that I have to change out all of the shift cables. Goes into F fine. N, fine... R.... not so fine... I just changed out the lower cable on the rinker and that was alot of "fun"...:eek:

I finally spun the motor. No nasty noises. Compression seems okay. I pulled three of the 6 plugs and they aren't rusty. I need to get a compression tester. Now I need to pull the carb, rebuild it and apply some new ignition parts, spark and fuel and then see where we are. I know that an impeller is in the very near future.

I hope to turn this into a Resto thread come fall...

thanks for asking!!!

nuboat2me (Jeff)

Hey,
Its been a while since you've posted and I am curious how much farther along you've gotten or if you actually
have the boat in the water. I am a very recent joiner to this forum and your post caught my eye. I also have
a Silverline that my brother gave to me when it broke. He claims to be more into sailing under wind power as
it's less maintenance and more ecological. What he laid on me was a 1970 Silverline DeVille 19ft runabout with
a Mercruiser 200 (which is similar to the Mercruiser 165, it's the same engine at it's largest displacement, 292
cu in). It seems to be a more elaborately equipped one than I saw in the catalogs for that model as it has a
step thru windshield and foredeck railing.

At any rate I guess I'll start a thread of my own to describe my saga in returning this classic to running order.
One thing that interested me was the mention of the gentleman who worked for Moorhead. I'm hav8ing a devil
of a time finding certain trim pieces as I refurbish the dried out and cracked plastic bits and whatnot. Thankfully
the Silverline I own seems to use many off the shelf parts and I am lucky so far.

If I could I'd like to beg a favor of you or whoever reads this. If it's at all possible without too much broo-haha.
I cant seem to find a replacement for the seal that goes on the bottom of the whole windshield where it meets
the fiberglas deck. I'd like to buy enough to redo the whole way across (approx 8ft) but 2-1/2ft would be enough
for the center opening window bottom seal.

It slides into a channel in the bottom aluminum extrusion piece that make the window frame. In cross section it is
a little over 5/8" tall (overall). It looks like a circular tube approx 1/2" in diameter topped by two "P" shaped curvatures.
The one on the left is reversed so that the two bumps of the "P" part will fit into the channel on the aluminum
bottom piece.
Macklanberg-Duncan building materials makes something similar in profile but it's way too small by about a factor
of three or four. This is the blurb from their catalog"
Fits Bumper Thresholds with "Bulb" style insert
13409 36" GRAY 6

If there is any way I could persuade you to ask around I would be most grateful. Perhaps I could regale you with
the tale of how I removed the head on my frozen six cylinder and used WD-40, a 4x4 block of wood and a four
pound hand sledge to free up the pistons.

Here's hoping to benefit from the kindness of a stranger for a random act of charity and benevolence.

Yours in Silverline bliss,
Chris

southkogs

Staff member

Hey Chris:

Welcome aboard!

Definitely start a new thread. Also, do some digging' around the restoration threads on that seal for the windshield. Even do a separate post mentioning that seal in the title. That'll help some folks with experience speak to the issue. There are a couple of us Silverline guys here on the forum. There's also a lot of good ideas out there from guys who have done a bunch of restoration work.

Get some pictures posted up!