Won't start

Tboneaz

Cadet
So here's my problem. I run the boat for 2 hrs or so just running around the lake having fun. I shut the boat down to relax for a few and it will not start. I will not even turn over. I do hear the fuel pump starting up for the fuel inject but no power to the starter. So I pull the starter and have it tested and it?s good other than a few loose posts on the solenoid. I tighten them and reinstall it. I also have the ignition relay near the fuel filter checker and it's good. The boat still won?t turn over. I don't think it's the battery because as soon as I take the ignition switch off to test it (it tested good) I short the starter wires under the dash and it turns over. I'm miffed. It may be the cranking amps on the battery that's the next thing to try.
Any thoughts?
1999 Seaswirl 210 bowrider
Volvo pinta 5.0

trobinson017

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Won't start

Every starting problem I've had has been either battery related or starter related. Since your starter checked out okay I recommend removing your battery and having it tested at an auto store or marine store. Some of our auto stores here in Florida have marine battery testers. I did similar tests as you are doing and came to the assumption that my battery was fine. Not so. It was close to being totally toast when tested. I bought a new one, cleaned all the cable connectors, etc. and she fired right up.

I also learned that the battery testers I have only tell you the surface voltage, which will be 12v. But this doesn't indicate the overall health of the battery.

Good luck!

Tboneaz

Cadet

Ever sense I have added a second battery with 1000 cranking volts I have not had any starting issues. This was recomended by my local baot shop. Thanks for the response.

Tboneaz

Cadet

I posted this back in 2009 and sense then I have had to have a new motor installed due to an impeller issue. I can say it still have a starting issue just like it did in the past. I have changed out the ignition thinking that was the issue. It still will not start Intermittently. I can go all day then it just will not do anything when I turn the key. I wait 10 or 20 min and it cranks right over. I was told to check the cannon plug that is going to what I think is the starter realy. I did clean it and re seat it. I have to take the boat out to test it but I have a feeling it will still do hte same. I don't think it's the battery because I have 2 of them and it acts up with ether one. HELP...