1967 Sears / Gale Sovereign

xv920

Recruit
Hello i'm new to this forum. I just purchased this boat a few days ago. Try'n to research for some info, and everything i find bring's me to this forum. So here i am. Can anyone help me out. I'm a first time boat owner. i have a 1967 Sears / Gale Sovereign. MODEL # 61051 SERIAL # IT65DR 0307 I'm not sure what im getting into. The boat has been sitting for about 17years. The person i purchased the boat from said was was running then before it was winterised 17yrs ago. I have been wanting an old boat to fix up and this one is the ideal thing I Think.......lol Can someone point me in the right direction on where to find parts and/or any info about this boat

Attachments

• 100_8584.jpg
    100_8584.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_8579.jpg
    100_8579.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_8592.jpg
    100_8592.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_8593.jpg
    100_8593.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_8594.jpg
    100_8594.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

mk4713

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1967 Sears / Gale Sovereign

I have the same model but siezed up. If you happen to need parts give me a shout i will see what i got off of my dead soveriegn 35hp.

kfa4303

Banned

HI xv. Weclome to iboats. Cool new toy you got there. For starters, your "Gale" motor is made by OMC, which also made Johnson/Evinrude. As a result, many if not all of the parts are interchangeable with OMC models of similar vintage. You may also hear your motor referred to as a "Big Twin", which is just a generic term for the arge 2 cylinder, 2 stroke motors OMC made at this time. They're well regarded, reliable, easy to work on and parts are still readily available, but they are gas hogs. Here are some great links that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. You can even get routine replacement parts right here at ibooats.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index6.htm

As far as the boat goes, there are only a couple rules when it comes to aluminum boats (a.k.a. "tinboats").

1.) Never use Pressure Treated wood on and aluminum boat as the preservatives within it will cause electrolytic pitting in your hull.
2.) Instead use high quality, exterior grade plywood such as Aruaco brand available at Lowes/HD and seal it using a variety of methods. The best ways are to seal it using either 2-part spreadable epoxy, or fiberglass mat & resin. Both methods work great, but can be a little pricey and messy. You often have to order the supplies too. However, you can also use several coats of Spar Urethane or high quality exterior grade paint. They won't seal the wood quite as well, but with care they should still last many seasons. (I like old school Rustoleum Oil Base Enamel)
3.) Use Stainless Steel hardware and/or aluminum pop-rivets throughout your boat. Dipping them in 3M 5200 marine caulk/sealant prior to installation, especially for through-hull fittings.
3.) As far as painting the boat goes. Sand loose paint with 220 grit paper, wide down with Acetone, let dry, prime with light coat of Zinc Chromate Self-Etching primer then paint.

That's really about it. Good luck. Holler if you get stuck.

xv920

Recruit

thinks for the info ...... i had some family things come up and havent been able to do any thing with it yet. cant wait to start on it.... hate to trade the motor out but if i do does anybody have any ideals what would be the best for it.

xv920

Recruit

thanks im sure ill probly need something, once i get started

I have the same model but siezed up. If you happen to need parts give me a shout i will see what i got off of my dead soveriegn 35hp.