Bimini Top Mounting Help

Sea Ray

Seaman
I am new to boating and just picked up a used 1999 210 Sea Ray. It did not come with a bimini top (but it did come with a convertible top) and I would like to get one.

I have search the internet, called suppliers and talked to boat dealers and still can not get the answer to the following question. Maybe there is someone here that can help.

I am not sure where to mount the pole that pivots. From my measurements it should be somewhere a few inches (maybe 6") up on the windshield from the point where it meets the boat at the back of the windshield. This would center it between the rear and front seats. However I can not find the hardware that will allow me to mount it on the windshield. It is a rounded tube, Taylor made windshield. I would like to find the "rattle free" ball and socket type of hardware.

I think I can order the same type of hardware used on my convertible top but I would need to order the replacement parts through Sea Ray and drill a hole through my windshield. But, I have been told that this is kind of noisy??

The mounting location is also making it hard to decide what size bimini I need to order. It appears the tops as ordered through web sites like this are intended to mount on the top of the boat rail. But, the size of top listed for my boat are too narrow and too short unless they are mounted on the windshield.

I am sure someone else has been through this and any help would greatly be appreciated. I am ready to order one but don't want to get the wrong size.

Thanks in advance

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bimini Top Mounting Help

Found this
Looks like it's only mounted on the gun'l. Probably 6ft. long, cabin width, with straps on the front.

Sea Ray

Seaman

Nova,

Thanks for the reply. However, that boat is Sundeck and mine is a Bow Rider. The windshield wraps further back on my boat.

Thanks

Manipulator

I had the bimini top that attached to the windshield, I didn't like it as it snapped on the top of the windshield and went all the way across. There was no air flow as it was enclosed. I bought an aftermarket top and mounted it to the boat (the brackets and pivot arms). Now I can stand up and I also get air flow over the windshield. Although our boats are probably different, it might give you some ideas.

DSC00152.jpg

Sea Ray

Seaman

Thanks for the replies.

Nova, the link didn't work for me. I have seen other boats with the top mounted on the windshield too but I haven't had any luck finding the hardware.

It has to be available somewhere.......

I am still not sure if I want to go with a 6' or 8' top either. I think the 6' would look better and the 8' would provide better coverage but, I don't know if it would look out of place?? Any ideas or recommendations on the length?

Thanks again

Nova II 260

They must have removed the pic, sorry.

Nova II 260

In the picture, it looks to be the same lenght as the distance from your windshield yo the bow light. (4ft.?) I would get a top that mounts to the side in the gunn'l glass rather then on the windshield. It would have a lot stonger support.

Manipulator

Looks about the size of mine. I think I got a 4' top. The longer ones look goofy. Either get the shorter one (will cover the driver and seat righ behind) or get the longer one.