Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MRO1 View Post
    Hello???? anyone out there

Just picked up a 1978 17' Sea Nymph (walk-thru)
    500 Mercury on it which turns out to be frozen.
    Most likely will get a somewhat newer outboard for it if I can find one I can afford.
    Post a pic of your SN when you get the chance.
    1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
    1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Comment

• I recently became the proud owner of this 1990 195 GLS. I absolutely love it. Handles big water well ( the Columbia River) yet tows easily and trailers like a dream. It is in great shape and is very comfortable. I have a 1990 90 HP Johnson and a 1985 15 HP Johnson. I added a new Minn Kota 55 lb 54” Terrova w Ipilot. Trolling is amazingly simple and it is easy to forget you occasionally need to look the direction you are moving. (I set I tracks w the main motor and then have the Minn Kota simply follow the tracks.)

Comment

• Nice SN you got there The 195's are hard to come by any more, guys love to keep them.
        1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
        1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermann View Post

Post a pic of your SN when you get the chance.
          For now my new to me 17 footer is out at my brothers place while I'm getting some space cleared for it at my house.
          Did find a 2005 60 hp mercury 4 stoke, 118 hrs on it a couple days ago. Not sure how good a deal I got, paid $3,600.00 and got the control with it

pics in a week or so.......

Comment

• Serial # SEAB6823M78J (17 foot, side console)
            I can't believe how fast the time flys by.
            Got my nymph in the side yard about a week ago and started work a few days ago.
            Originally I didn't think I needed to replace the transom, and mounted the 05 60 HP merc on it.

Then the more I looked the less pleased I became...
            Found "Micky mouse" repairs...
            Bad enough that I found both non SS fasteners (screws and bolts) but someone actually used drywall screws too.
            In addition to the factory aluminum stiffener on the inside of the transom someone installed a 1/4 X 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 angle iron.
            I don't have a problem with that but with all the fasteners I started noticing on the back of the transom (over 30).
            I took a wire wheel on a drill to uncover paint/calking on the heads. Not one washer was used on the heads.
            ((6) 3/8" bolts, (16) 1/4" machine screws)), then screws from #12 down to 8's and only about 4 were stainless.
            Tonight I'm at the point that all I should need to do is remove 4 more drywall screws from the port side which most likely I will have to cut them with a sawsall between the bracket and where their attached to on the inside of the transom, (no room to get to them ).

So with all the holes in the back of the boat I decided to add a 3/16" thick piece of aluminum over the entire back side.
            Replace the plywood in the transom (looked like warmed over death but survived the screw driver test
            And I have 2 pieces of 3/16" thick aluminum plate left over so after I do a little research i think i won't reinstall the angle iron but some of the left over aluminum plate.

I will post some pics but my youngest daughter just replaced my phone with a 'google phone" and for some reason it won't let me upload pics like my year old Sansung.

Long live the Nymphs........

Comment

• Originally posted by MRO1 View Post
              Serial # SEAB6823M78J (17 foot, side console)
              I can't believe how fast the time flys by.
              Got my nymph in the side yard about a week ago and started work a few days ago.
              Originally I didn't think I needed to replace the transom, and mounted the 05 60 HP merc on it.

Then the more I looked the less pleased I became...
              Found "Micky mouse" repairs...
              Bad enough that I found both non SS fasteners (screws and bolts) but someone actually used drywall screws too.
              In addition to the factory aluminum stiffener on the inside of the transom someone installed a 1/4 X 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 angle iron.
              I don't have a problem with that but with all the fasteners I started noticing on the back of the transom (over 30).
              I took a wire wheel on a drill to uncover paint/calking on the heads. Not one washer was used on the heads.
              ((6) 3/8" bolts, (16) 1/4" machine screws)), then screws from #12 down to 8's and only about 4 were stainless.
              Tonight I'm at the point that all I should need to do is remove 4 more drywall screws from the port side which most likely I will have to cut them with a sawsall between the bracket and where their attached to on the inside of the transom, (no room to get to them ).

So with all the holes in the back of the boat I decided to add a 3/16" thick piece of aluminum over the entire back side.
              Replace the plywood in the transom (looked like warmed over death but survived the screw driver test
              And I have 2 pieces of 3/16" thick aluminum plate left over so after I do a little research i think i won't reinstall the angle iron but some of the left over aluminum plate.

I will post some pics but my youngest daughter just replaced my phone with a 'google phone" and for some reason it won't let me upload pics like my year old Sansung.

Long live the Nymphs........

You should start a new thread about your SN resto.
              BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
              Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
              That is what the forums are for.
              Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

• You should start a new thread about your SN resto.

OK, how do I start a new thread?
                I don't see any "commands/buttons" for doing so.

In the mean time, I've a question.
                How far above the bottom of the hull should be the transoms plywood be?

Comment

Originally posted by MRO1 View Post
                  OK, how do I start a new thread?
                  I don't see any "commands/buttons" for doing so.

In the mean time, I've a question.
                  How far above the bottom of the hull should be the transoms plywood be?
                  From the Sea Nymph forum home page, click the blue bar labeled:
                  as shown in the pix below
                  ​​​​​​
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190930-153338_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	10804987

Start a topic and ask questions there. This is a Post pix topic not a rebuild Q&A topic
                  Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

Working...
                  X