New to me '87 GLS

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
PIcked this boat up on monday. Unfortunately its in the shop already, having issues with the 1985 90 horse johnson that came with it. Anyways, the flooring is decent on this boat still. Only problem areas are around the live well and the livewell doors need replaced. Needs some TLC but not a bad boat. Anxious to get out and fish with it. It came with the bimini top but the guy i bought it from never used it and i can tell the mice got to it. Theres no rails for the top, can I buy any rail for it? Also does anyone have a picture of the bimini top on the boat they could show me. Just curious how it goes on, theres like 3 or 4 pieces to it. Anyways, heres a few pics.

Attachments

• photo227639.jpg
    photo227639.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo227640.jpg
    photo227640.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo227641.jpg
    photo227641.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo227642.jpg
    photo227642.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3

jbcurt00

Staff member
Can't help w/ the bimini,

But is that a piece of pressure treated plywood between the seats? Any other PT hiding under all that carpet?

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah thats a piece of pressure treated for the one door of the livewell. Its just what i had laying around, temporary. All the rest of the flooring is original. Never been touched.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Congrats on a nice looking GLS. Any boat of that age will probably need some TLC. Most people don't normally dump a bunch of money into something before they sell it, especially is they know for a year or 2 that they are selling it. The Sea Nymph Striper cc191 sat for 2 years before I bought it, and the PO had to buy a new size 29 battery just to get the motor to turn over. The bilge, aerator and marine radio didn't work but everything else works great to include the electric Canon downriggers, the Big Jon double outrigger mast with Otter Boat planers, and 2 fish finders. The steering system is real tight so I already ordered a new Teleflex steering system. Also, the 90hp Evinrude doesn't like to stay running when I shift it into reverse, so I'm still trying to get that worked out. I've only had my boat out twice, and I don't think it's anything major.

What kind of motor issue are you having? Did it come with a kicker motor?

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
It drops a cylinder when you take off. Its right before you get on plane. Its either losing spark at high speed or needs a carb cleaning. The bilge and aerator dont work on this boat either but lights do work. I ordered a bilge yesterday but the aerator will wait for now. Dont really need a livewell for salmon lol. It doesnt have a kicker but I have a 15horse mariner I use on my 14ft boat that ive been using for a tiller. Works great. I just ordere a connecting rod for it too so I can steer it with the big motor.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where did you order your connecting rod? I have one but it doesn't adjust for length or angles between the 2 motors. It kinda works but it slips off the kicker motor every once in awhile, which is the last thing I need when I'm using it for trolling.

No, the livewell is too small for salmon, but I use it for bass and walleye :)

Last edited:

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where did you order your connecting rod? I have one but it doesn't adjust for length or angles between the 2 motors. It kinda works but it slips off the kicker motor every once in awhile, which is the last thing I need when I'm using it for trolling.

No, the livewell is too small for salmon, but I use it for bass and walleye :)

I got mine off of amazon. Its the same one c a b e l a s has just $2 cheaper and i have amazon prime so i got free 2 day shipping lol. I havent got it yet but when i do get it ill let you know how it works. Wont be for a couple weeks though.

And its not necessarily the size of the livewell, its more you wanna put them on ice, not warm water. But on a side note, you wouldnt be able to put more than 5 or 6 salmon in it. And here in MI we can keep 5 kings a person, so yeah lol

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You are right about putting salmon on ice rather than warm water. I'll have to check out fishing regs but I think we can keep three salmon/trout per day per person. I have to do some minor work to do on my 191 before I take it out for salmon, but I'm looking forward to it. I'll check ama zon, and also wait on your report. I think I can make mine work for the rest of this year, but I would rather have one that I can adjust.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for sharing the problem and the solution. My engine does just the opposite. It will idle fine at higher RPM's, and it runs great once it gets going. But it constantly dies when I go to shift it into forward or reverse. I replaced the fuel line and primer bulb because it was looking pretty old. I also stepped up the RPM's but I haven't had it back on the lake yet to see if the problem is resolved. I'll be replacing the steering system this week so I can go dishing next weekend.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
To me that sounds like a carb issue, possibly clogged jets.

I see your post on where to put the battery- ill take a pic of mine when i get a chance. I put it down in the little compartment where the bilge/aerator pump are, starboard side.

Last edited:

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you ever get your bimini mounting figured out? I got my new one mounted, so I can post pics if you are still wanting info or ideas.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not to bring this one from the dead but ive had the boat out a bunch this spring. Needs a new flooring badly but thats gonna wait. We did get the bimini top mounted, its not perfect but really. I did find a picture online finally of someone who has one mounted and we actually mounted almost the way they did. Just have to adjust a couple of the poles. There is a small leak in my boat but nothing too worry some at the moment, will fix it when i re-do the flooring.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've heard that some Sea Nymph boats came with aluminum floors. That's is how I might do my floors when they need to be redone. Have you figured out where the water is leaking into your boat?

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've heard that some Sea Nymph boats came with aluminum floors. That's is how I might do my floors when they need to be redone. Have you figured out where the water is leaking into your boat?
I did find two leaking spots today cause it filled up with rainwater from the past couple days. Its not a major leak but will need fixed. The one is a rivet on the passenger side near the front of the boat. The second spot is dead in the middle of the boat on the middle seam where two pieces of aluminum come together. Hard to describe.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think your boat is made the same as a Starcraft, and the hull is 1 piece of aluminum, not 2.

It isnt split at the keel, except at the bow rise to accomplish the rise.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
It isnt split at the keel, except at the bow rise to accomplish the rise.
I know, but theres a metal piece running down the whole middle of the boat,where it joins to the second piece it may be leaking. I couldnt tell if it was leaking there or just had water there from the rivet leaking. Pretty sure theres another leak somewhere else though because on tonights trip i know the boat was dry when i put it in and i drained at least 3-4 gallons out when i got back to the launch. Plan to fill it up with the hose sooner than later i think and try to find it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I know, but theres a metal piece running down the whole middle of the boat,where it joins to the second piece it may be leaking. I couldnt tell if it was leaking there or just had water there from the rivet leaking.
Pix would help.

This metal piece you mention is on the inside or the outside, running down the middle of the hull?

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you filled your bilge with water, in the driveway with a plug in place? Is any water coming up over the stern into the motorwell? I have to replace my motorwell boots because water goes through my existing boots and fills up my bilge when I am in trailing choppy conditions (with a tail wind and trolling, or getting hit from behind by a wave).

Last edited:

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gonna bring this one up from the dead since it looks like the sea nymph forum isnt getting much attention. I wanna redo the flooring this spring pending funds. After using it for a full season I want to add two in-floor storage bins, places to keep downrigger balls and planar boards and a few plano boxes. Also i need to fix the leaks, its pretty bad. Ive been recommended to use gluv it. Also wanna do carpet for the flooring, only have done vinyl before so i need to look up some restos on here with similar hulls. Anybody have any good restorations on the forum to look at that have similar hulls as the GLS 195?