Looking at a Sanger tomorrow, need some tips!

PharmD29

Recruit
Hey guys, my first post here and hopefully after I look at this Sanger tomorrow I will be on here very frequently. I found an awesome Sanger V215, has 250 hours on it 2006 with Black Scorpion engine. The boat seems to be in fantastic shape, as you can see in the picture he bought a new trailer for it. I talked him down to $26K because he is moving out of town, based on below how is that price?

My question is what should I do to make sure the engine is in tip top shape, I am scared ****less (my first boat) that this engine will crap out on me or something? Should I have a mechanic come? The boat is stored at a marina and he is in Hawaii now so his wife is the one meeting me and I don't think I could put it in the water right now. He seems like an honest guy, told me the only problem he has ever had on it is the oil gauge will sometimes drop to zero then bounce back. He called Sanger and they said it was the sensor or the gauge. He said it has never been in salt water as well.

Any information you guys could give me would be great, really excited to possibly get one of these boats, I have heard nothing but good things about Sanger.

Here are specs:
Mercruiser 330HP Black Scorpion 5.7L V8
Pro-Flight wakeboard tower w/ wakeboard racks
tower mounted bimini top
Perfect Pass speed control
Depth finder
Tsunami pump Bow filled ballast
Kenwood CD/Stereo w/ Ipod connection
4 tower mounted speakers and sub woofer under dash w/ amplifier
Teak swim platform
Custom tandem axle trailer w/ swing tongue w/ surge brakes
Onboard hot and cold water shower
heater
LED lighting throughout inside of boat and custom fit trailerable cover.
New radial tires on trailer.

http://i40.tinypic.com/aety00.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/b71emx.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/mr8gma.jpg

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Looking at a Sanger tomorrow, need some tips!

Great price, superb boat. Mercruiser are solid engines. Mine is a 2006 with 150 hours more than that one. If he took care of the boat that well, he probably took care of the engine and driveline as well. Quit worrying and buy it. (OK, it's always better to drive the boat on the water, but that is a well equipped boat and everything on it seems like what you would want if you liked the boat so nothing funny)
I would get the oil pressure gauge sensor checked or replaced after I bought it. It could also be a wire. He would not tell you about the gauge if he thought it was a problem, he'd leave you to find it. If my brother was buying a boat and saw that at that price I'd have him drive down to get it and tow it back. It does not look like it's in an area where you have to worry about a frozen block and that's the biggest risk.
If you can drive it that would be best. You could get a mechanic to run it up and then do a compression test to look for problems, then you'll have some extra assurance. It should take an hour and a lot of boat dealers could do it. The trailer is stock with Sangers but the LED lighting is extra. The Pro-Flight Chubby tower is one of the most solid that have been made. The boat is simply the best handling rear engine boat you could find. If it were mine, I would change out the fixed wake plate for an adjustable Bennett one that they make for Sanger but that is an expensive change and most people don't worry about it.
If it's your first boat you should take the time to learn how to drive it and manouever it near a buoy or dock. It is a little different from a sterndrive but it's very easy to drive when you understand what it does. Good luck. :)
After you buy it call Sanger about getting any hull warranty transferred to you.