steering cable

trvltess

Recruit
I have a 2003 Sanger 210 Competition boat. The boat was sold new in 2005. The steering is getting so stiff it is a pain to drive. Does anyone have any input on this.... is it a steering cable needing greasing, a new cable, a bearing problem? Can we repair this ourselves or do we need the dealership to fix it? They are always soooooo expensive.... if this is an easy fix, I would appreciate information..... Thanks...... trvltess

Re: steering cable

HI,
I have an 02 and am having the same trouble. It's like steering a mac truck with no power steering. Have you found a fix yet? I had a shop replace my rudder and port, no change! I really need to fix this or I can't keep this boat!! Any info???

jspd234

Recruit

mine is the same way. i called the dealer and was told it is non serviceable and needs to be replaced. cost is like a few hundred for the part plus a couple hours labor. i just get a work out when i drive it. LOL!

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The steering cable needs greasing. It should be lubed every year. Mercruiser makes a cable lube that you apply to the throttle also. Replacing it is not that hard. You should be able to pull the new one in while you pull the old one out.
Just to be sure it is the cable, is the steering stiff while the boat is on the trailer or only when running. If it's while running, but easy on the trailer, it could be the rudder bushing but I don't think so.
The steering should really be with one finger at any speed.