Too much water in the boat

wboney

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1991 Sanger FX22. I've noticed that I have to run the bilge pump a lot more than on previous boats I've owned. This is our first direct drive boat and I'm wondering if this is common with this type boat. I've monitored the water coming in from skiers and such and we're not bringing that much water in to the boat, so it has to be getting in from another source. Yes, I've checked the plugs to insure they are sealing. Any ideas on why we're taking on so much water?

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Too much water in the boat

Prop shaft seal. There is a large packing nut that tightens the seal around the prop shaft. Either it is loose, or the packing needs replacement. Might want to take it to a inboard shop if you have no experience with it.

Inboards always take in some water through the prop shaft seal. It's nearly impossible to keep water out from a rotating shaft. I would say if you need to run the bilge pump more than once every few houres, with a fair amount of discharge, the packing is loose or needs replacement.

jspd234

Recruit

u gotta run the boat at like 10-15 mph and count how many drips per minute. there is a specification for that. too many drips, tighten shaft seal. too little amount of drips, loosen shaft seal.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats jspd! It's nice to see you're trying to be helpful and interact, but you are responding to 1-4 year old threads. Please read forum rules and enjoy!