Have an '89 Renken Seamaster 2288 - need help

seamonkey7

Recruit
I bought this boat this past summer and need some help with some minor fixes...

There is a sink in the cabin but the water line to the faucet has been cut, and there's no potable water tank. Does anyone have any pictures of what this should look like? Where should the tank be? Pictures would be great if you have them.

The boat runs great and we had a lot of fun out in the Chesapeake Bay this past Summer/Fall. My only concerns with this boat have to do with a number of gelcoat cracks and a few places where the gelcoat has completely flaked off. I'm not really sure how to check for structural damage, but overall, the boat seems to be in great shape.

gemini0511

Recruit
Re: Have an '89 Renken Seamaster 2288 - need help

I bought this boat this past summer and need some help with some minor fixes...

There is a sink in the cabin but the water line to the faucet has been cut, and there's no potable water tank. Does anyone have any pictures of what this should look like? Where should the tank be? Pictures would be great if you have them.

The boat runs great and we had a lot of fun out in the Chesapeake Bay this past Summer/Fall. My only concerns with this boat have to do with a number of gelcoat cracks and a few places where the gelcoat has completely flaked off. I'm not really sure how to check for structural damage, but overall, the boat seems to be in great shape.

Hey Seamonkey! Congratulations! I too have recently acquired a 1988 Renken Seamaster 2288. Once we go through it and see what's what, I'd be happy to provide you with whatever you need. We are just getting into the boat this weekend for the first time. In the meantime, I have a question or two I'm hoping you can answer...do you have the owner manual for the boat? And, can you tell me if the gas tank is metal or fiberglass? Hope we can help each other, and get both our boats running smoothly on all fronts!

daman

Recruit

I just bought a 26' renken seamaster in February. Dont have any manual, specs, etc.. A lot of my pumps and electronics are not working. Have not checked the fuses as I am more worried about getting it in the water to fish. Taking it out for the first time tomorrow with a boat mechanic. He is replacing the sparkplug wires, changing oil and other basic service. Then plan on taking it out on Sunday to the chesapeake at Sandy point to get some trophy stripers.

I need to know how to operate the sink, frig, potti, etc.. So hopefully we can all help each other when we learn or get new information on our rekens.

seamonkey7

Recruit

do you have the owner manual for the boat? And, can you tell me if the gas tank is metal or fiberglass?

No, I don't have a manual for the boat. I do have a manual for the outdrive though. (OMC Cobra with 5.0 V8)

The gas tank in my boat is metal.

Good luck!

seamonkey7

Recruit

... A lot of my pumps and electronics are not working. Have not checked the fuses as I am more worried about getting it in the water to fish.

Is it a good idea to take the boat fishing if its not all in good working order? Especially in the Chesapeake Bay...

I need to know how to operate the sink, frig, potti, etc.. So hopefully we can all help each other when we learn or get new information on our rekens.

My fridge is an icebox - not an electrical refrigerator. I hope to upgrade to a working refrigerator someday, but that's going to have to wait. The sink potable water supply line on my boat was cut (and no tank) when I purchased it, so I can't really say how it's supposed to work. Some smaller boats have a manual pumping handle on the faucet. So, if you have a potable water tank, or even just a bucket that you could submerge the faucet's water line into, you should be able to check to see if the faucet is working correctly. Since my boat is 21', there's not really enough room for a full head, so I have a porta-potty that we stow under the seating in the cabin.

Anyhow, I hope you get everything working good for the weekend, so you can get yourself a trophy. Post pics if you do! Good luck!

daman

Recruit

Now when I say things not working, its stuff thats not crucial like the electric frig, freshwater pump for the sink and shower which i'm not worried too much about right now and livewell. The boat itself is in good condition, the motor, after the work with the mechanic, is good. I need to get some more work done to it but will do little at a time as it is expensive and already put a lot of money out this year. But there is a little pressure/water coming out the top of the motor by the manifolds. The mechanic said the seal is not sealed. Probably the gasket and you can see the steam coming frm there but only when operating the motor at high speeds. He said it is good to use as long as I don't open it up too much on the water but I do need to get it fixed.

I have looked all over for any manuals Renken boat in the year 89 but can't find anything. Can you send a copy of the motor manual?

James

Bump for pretty much the same questions asked here.
Post up pics of the engine compartments and stuff.

seamonkey7

Recruit

Is there something in particular that you need pictures of?

There is a Flojet pump mounted on the transom above the batteries and piped discharge out the side of the boat. But the suction line isn't hooked to anything. What does it go to ? Also the two floor fish box's are just plumbed to the bilge, is that where they go? Or do they tie into the Flojet? The bilge blower is just ran up the starboard inside of the boat, is there another way to route it?
Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get this boat restored and go fishing!:D

seamonkey7

Recruit

When I bought my boat, the previous owner told me that the hoses coming from the fish boxes originally dumped into the bilge. He didn't want all of the water from the fish boxes dumping into the bilge, so he hooked up a pump in the port-side battery compartment to discharge water from the fish boxes. Both of the holds were connected to a T fitting, which was connected to the suction of the flojet. I disconnected it at one point, because I'd had a lot of problems with the pump suction getting clogged up from trash, leaves, etc. that would find its way into the holds. However, later this summer, I plan on re-connecting the pump. Taking on water from a wave and having it all collect in the stern then the scupper valves not clearing it fast enough, would send even more water into the bilge through the fish boxes. In a situation like that, I'd want my bilge pump to have all the help it can get. Not to mention, if you don't keep the boat covered, then every time there's a storm, most of that water will end up heading into the bilge.

There should be a white vent on the aft starboard side for the blower discharge.

Last edited: