1993 Reinell for sale - should I buy??

dickenw

Recruit
Hi all,

First post in this forum and I'm looking for some advise from the experts :)

I'm looking to buy a boat for tubing, water skiing and general lake fun. This will be my first boat purchase. I have $5000 in cash and a big Toyota Tundra to tow it!

I'm looking on Craigslist and came across a 1993 Reinell for sale:
http://medford.craigslist.org/boa/3190343010.html
Here's the listing I saw:
1993 19 1/2 Ft Reinell ski boat with a 350 Chevy, Stern Dr, Tandim Axle Trailer, Very clean and well maintained. $5,999 OBO

From the photos it looks very clean. I've talked to the owner. He's had it for 7 years and is the 2nd owner. He wants to sell it to buy an ocean boat. He doesn't know the actual model number and the boat doesn't have an hour gauge so I don't know the hours on the engine. He's a truck driver and has done all the mechanics on the boat himself.

Given that I've never purchased a used boat before here are some questions:
  1. I can't find this specific boat on NADA, what I do see for 1993s has the base used price less that $5999. Any thoughts on this?
  2. Anything specific I should look at, i.e. common trouble spots on this model year for Reinells?
  3. Will be used as a family fun boat, tube/ski/wakeboard, will this boat do the trick?
  4. Any other comments on this boat, motor, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
  5. Any thoughts on the fuel economy of this boat?

Thanks so much!

Dicken

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 Reinell for sale - should I buy??

Looks a lot like my 93 Reinell, except mine has a rounded windshield and it is 20' in length. My model is called a 2000 brxl.
Could be a 196 brxl due to the length, but I thought they had curved windshields too. I could be wrong. Is he sure it is a 93? Is there a ID tag in the boat?
A lot of people on these forums do not like the OMC Cobra outdrive. Mine is a 5.0 with the Cobra outdrive and I have never had a problem with it.
From what I here, parts are hard to come by since they don't make them anymore. Time will tell.

We love our Reinell for tubing and skiing. Works great.

I put some Smart Tabs on mine because the bow rose quite a bit trying to get on plane. The tabs helped with fuel too. Getting on plane faster means a lot less time at full throttle.

It is a nice looking boat.