Like To Hear From Raycraft Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

neches

Cadet
I Fished Out Of These Boats For Years,dealt With The Owner Of The Company Quite A Bit When I Was In The Fiberglass Repair Buisiness.i Heard Horror Stories About Mr Cecils Boats From Several People But You Know,i Was Never Let Down By Any Of His Boats.these Boats Were Built To Run In The Timber Filled Lakes Of East Texas And They Done It Better Than Any Other Boat I Have Ever Been In...

rowhite75

Recruit
Re: Like To Hear From Raycraft Owners

Are Raycraft boats still in business? Anybody know how to contact them?

mikerider

Cadet

Ray Craft boats were built in San Augustine Texas, which is about 30 minutes from the Louisiana border. The company closed a few years ago and has not reopened. My dad took me to the factory a few times when I was a kid because I liked watching them make boats. And it smelled great.

I grew up fishing out of a R C V174 and it was a great boat. It was well built but heavy. It stayed in our family for about 10 years and I wish we still had it. We fished Toledo Bend LOTS and it took a beating on the stumps with no problem.

neches

Cadet

i could tell you about an old v177 that i fished out of for years,this boat took a beating on north toledo and rayburn.it belonged to a buddy of mine who got it from his stepdad.we once punched a hole in it while prefishing in sipe bayou,run back to camp and loaded it and found a cypress knee sticking out of the hull.that knee saw 3 tourneys before it was removed...

wileycoyote

Recruit

My dad has had three different models over the years and loves them even though they went out of business in 2004. His first model was from the early 70's and then he upgreaded in the late 80's and then again in 2001 when he retired. I also have a Raycraft a 1990 V159 Pro and I love it, I would like to upgrade and get a little more length and width in the boat but I am sold on Raycraft, if I could ever find a 2000-2004 model 19' long I would buy it. I will not trade it in on another brand just because since 1992 when I bought it, I have have not had any problems at all with anything. The orginal metal flake paint job is still in excellent condition, it even still has the orginal carpet which is still in good condition but is finally starting to come unglued I will have to replace at the end of the summer, I did replace all of the seats in 2001 due to being simply worn out. I use the boat on average 4-6 times a month so it gets alot of use and is still as solid as the day I bought it.

It was used for about 8 years on Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn, TX and for the last 7 years on Santee Cooper (Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion, SC). We that said I have only had a few scratches on the hull that was easily fixed with marinetex, in my opinnon it is as solid as any boat built today.

bouyantbob

Recruit

I just purchased a 1991 Raycraft V160DC. Anyone know where I can get an owner's manual for this craft?

EagleGene

Recruit

I bought a brand new Raycraft V16DC in 1996 and I didn't get a owners manual, Its a hell of a boat though.. I have only seen one other Raycraft on the lake, it was a 18 footer, bass boat.. I'm in Tulsa Okla. Where are you at?
Gene

bouyantbob

Recruit

I bought a brand new Raycraft V16DC in 1996 and I didn't get a owners manual, Its a hell of a boat though.. I have only seen one other Raycraft on the lake, it was a 18 footer, bass boat.. I'm in Tulsa Okla. Where are you at?
Gene
EagleGene,

I'm located in Gettysburg, PA which is almost as far South as you can get in PA. I've had the boat out several times in the Susquehanna River, the nearest large water in the area. The 88 HP Evinrude moved it very impressively and it handled great. The boat obviously has not been used extremely hard as the paint, seats and other equipment is pretty virgin. Looking forward to my next trip. I did find both owner's manual and maintenance manual for the motor from Ken Cook Books: www.kencook.com.

RJSIDWELL

Recruit

I just picked up a 1973 Ray-craft all i know is it needs a lot of work. it has an 85 horse Johnson but it runs like a top. the motor was rebuilt about 3 years ago. The flore has a hole in it. I put a piece of wood over the hole for now i love this thing i picked it up from my brother-in law. This thing all i can say is it is meant for fishing but i have salaam skied off the back deep water start i was amazed that a 16 foot junker could pull me. I'm going to take it to the Mississippi river some where up around galena Il. this weekend. we are going to do some fishing. But after that i think I am going to rehab it. I wish i could find pictures. So i something to work with. I think it is a 1973 RAY-CRAFT fury 16 foot tri hull. ANY help Or pictures

wickware

Lieutenant

How can I find my 1969, 15? Raycraft?s model type related to repairing the floor? Built in San Augustine Texas and a model # was on the boat for years. I have had the boat since 1985. It was to be my starter but it did everything I could want toward fishing lakes in East & North TX. It?s showing signs of weakness in the floor now (soft wooe at the rear seat not recovered with the thin fiberglass).

1. I took floor sample plugs from under the rear and center seat?s wooden stands today (rear = bad with very soft wood, center = fair with damp solid wood). I had laid plastic on top of the weak feeling area.

2. I noticed the rear stand lifting the thin fiberglass floor, which means it?s past time to take some actions. Since 1985 I could sometimes get a gallon of water when I pulled the plug but c/n find a source.

3. My thought is to put some thicker lexan plastic on the weak surface from the rear console to the gas tanks

4. Plus, I d/n see any foam and wondered if having the floor pumped full of insulating foam was a cure?

5. I fill the foam would help the floor (except for decayed wood) and hull since the hull feels thin in flat areas.

6. I told my fishing partner that I plan to retire from maintaining a boat when this boat retires, unless fish start jumping in the boat and I start feeling better.

Please give some opinions from experiences. Thanks in advance for your help.

JOW

Attachments

• Boat's Check-Up 6-05  3.jpg
    Boat's Check-Up 6-05 3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Chrysler's Bad Floor Samples.jpg
    Chrysler's Bad Floor Samples.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1

lake_buddy

Recruit

I Fished Out Of These Boats For Years,dealt With The Owner Of The Company Quite A Bit When I Was In The Fiberglass Repair Buisiness.i Heard Horror Stories About Mr Cecils Boats From Several People But You Know,i Was Never Let Down By Any Of His Boats.these Boats Were Built To Run In The Timber Filled Lakes Of East Texas And They Done It Better Than Any Other Boat I Have Ever Been In...

I just got a 1973 Raycraft and it's my first boat. It has a 55hp Chrysler. Previous owner says its needs a new gear box for steering and the engine needs a new silanoid.

lesbrou

Recruit

I had a 1980 something Ray-Craft 140 with a 70 Johnson . It was a great boat . I upgrade to a 1999 Ray-Craft V168DC with a 115 Johnson 6" Hi Pro Jack .aqw.jpg

gerryde

Recruit

I had a 1980 something Ray-Craft 140 with a 70 Johnson . It was a great boat . I upgrade to a 1999 Ray-Craft V168DC with a 115 Johnson 6" Hi Pro Jack .View attachment 134135

Hi Ray Craft Owners: I own a 1997 Ray Craft 160 Pro with dual consoles and a 85 HP Yamaha 2 stroke...I installed 2 new batteries, 45 LB Motor Guide trolling motor, built in battery charger. This boat belonged to my father in law who died 5 years ago and fished Toledo Bend....he did not use this boat much since his health was failing I was fortunate to buy this from his estate and updated the mechanicals....She runs like a scalded dog and fishes 2 people quite comfortably. UNfortunately my own health is an issue and I'm forced to sell her.

if any one is interested in a low hour Ray Craft with low hour Yamaha 85 HP 2 stroke drop me an email.

johnson76244

Cadet
I was looking for a post on a 1973 Ray-Craft Fury, I just bought the same year same model for $550 with 70HP Envinrude and trailer I thought for that money I'd give it a shot the boat is pretty nice for 1973. I was wondering if I can get any information on the structure of the boat? My floor is solid but there is no way to get underneath there are no access holes anywhere so I'm wonder a couple things:

1. If water gets underneath the deck how does it get out? I know it would mean a hole in the hull :)
2. If I want to add more two pedestal seats I'd like to know the clearance below the deck and what would be the best way to accomplish this.

chickm1

Recruit
Raycraft was owned and run by one man, who had several children. When he died, 1 son ran the business as a manager with pay, while the other children were the stockholders. They sold the company tpo a man who tried to diversify into too many products, which ultimately sealed the end of the business. Darn shame, too. All the Raycraft boats I have ever seen were bullet proof. They were manufactured close to Sam Rayburn Res and Toledo Bend Res, both known for the tree stumps, that tore up boats. Raycraft stood the abuse. I have owned 2, and wish they were still in business.

Jmcwild30

Recruit
My 88 raycraft is still running strong all orginal, other than having the lower unit redone once

Jmcwild30

Recruit
my 88 ray craft still running strong all orginal

Attachments

• ABFF6568-54F7-4DF6-A62C-9FCFA43FCA4F.png
    ABFF6568-54F7-4DF6-A62C-9FCFA43FCA4F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 160BB411-1ABC-49C3-B21B-0C7599AC5B0C.png
    160BB411-1ABC-49C3-B21B-0C7599AC5B0C.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 9ACF48BC-6ACD-46F5-81BF-BA5A9B63665F.png
    9ACF48BC-6ACD-46F5-81BF-BA5A9B63665F.png