Gas tanks

TexMariner

Cadet
Have a 1989 Ranger 361V. Looking for advice from anyone who has removed the fuel tanks. Is this done by simply removing the seat bench? It looks like the fiberglass is cut out for them to fit, but at the same time, it looks like with their shape, it may be more difficult than I think. Any help regarding this stage of the project is greatly appreciated.

Bill Dance

Recruit
Re: Gas tanks

What is your reason for pulling the gas tank? You might be able to fix your problem without pulling it at all.

TexMariner

Cadet

1. To clean out all the clutter underneath in the hull, and 2. Clean out the tanks real well. Have you done one Bill?

Bill Dance

Recruit

Yes and it sounds like you're in way over your head. :facepalm:

Have you tried simply removing the seat bench and that did not work? What answers are you looking to get from this forum? Step by step instructions on how to remove the tank? Do you have specific questions that have arisen due to trial and error of attempting to remove the tank?

Having been a member of this forum for the better part of the day, I can tell you that getting advice on how to handle specific issues or getting general advice on products are the forte of this resource; however, if it is a how-to from scratch type question, without seeing what your issue is, this might not be your venue.

I might recommend taking the boat to a professional to be worked on if you aren't sure how to rebuild the boat from the ground up, as it appears this is what you are trying to accomplish. Another option might be to seek a local resource that has perhaps done this type of rebuild first hand. Just make sure to be especially nice to this local resource, as not to upset them and extinguish any chances you had of getting some free help.

I'm Bill Dance, and you cannot do this.

TexMariner

Cadet

Yes and it sounds like you're in way over your head. :facepalm:

Have you tried simply removing the seat bench and that did not work? What answers are you looking to get from this forum? Step by step instructions on how to remove the tank? Do you have specific questions that have arisen due to trial and error of attempting to remove the tank?

Having been a member of this forum for the better part of the day, I can tell you that getting advice on how to handle specific issues or getting general advice on products are the forte of this resource; however, if it is a how-to from scratch type question, without seeing what your issue is, this might not be your venue.

I might recommend taking the boat to a professional to be worked on if you aren't sure how to rebuild the boat from the ground up, as it appears this is what you are trying to accomplish. Another option might be to seek a local resource that has perhaps done this type of rebuild first hand. Just make sure to be especially nice to this local resource, as not to upset them and extinguish any chances you had of getting some free help.

I'm Bill Dance, and you cannot do this.

You worthless prick...I'm asking if anyone has done this, and if so, what they had to do to get them out. Haven't started taking everything apart until I have a little more insight on if its even necessary, or how difficult it is. Those hoses are old, so taking them off could result in having to replace them all, and that's not something we want to get into for no reason.

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ol' Bill probably can't do the job, but anyone with a little mechanical ability can! Just remove the seat bench (Clips in the front, push back and then pull up), remove the tank hold downs (hopefully pump out the fuel first), remove the fuel lines (I would think replacing them would be a must due to age, ethanol, etc.). It's not a 10 minute job, but it's not rocket science either.

almason

Recruit

I have a 89 ranger 361V that has a gas smell I believe coming from around the tanks. I don't see any gas but definitely smell it. I removed the seat bench and removed the clips. The gas lines will have to disconnected for this maneuver. I am not related to Bill Dance. Will let you know what I find.

Shell Knob, MO

almason

Recruit

Definitely have to do some cutting somewhere to get these tanks out. Not sure how or where. Doing some more research. Anyone have any links on the best approach?

almason

Recruit

Isolated the leak to the starboard side tank. Used a Topsider Multipurpose Vacuum Pump to pull the remaining fuel out. The leak is at the 1/4 level. Below that level it doesn't leak. Will use only the port side 18 gallon tank for now. Was thinking about using the starboard side as a reserve and keep it below 1/4. I have decided to remove the sending unit and let the remaining fumes evaporate. Will cut the tank to remove after fumes are gone. Plan to replace with a smaller aftermarket tank that will fit in the compartment. Best I could come up with short of cutting glass.

Ranger 361V Fuel Tanks.jpg