Need help installing new gps

fishnutt

Cadet
Has anyone ever replaced the factory installed garmin in dash? Do i just cut out the back side of the dash to accept my new unit? Seem ranger custom made the dash just for a garmin. Any advice,
Thanks

MackTX

Recruit
Re: Need help installing new gps

I have a 03 Ranger 185 VS that had the factory installed garmin fish finder installed in the dash and I replaced it with a Humminbird 798 Csi. To remove the garmin lay down under the dash panel and you can access the 4 nuts that secure the snap in tray that holds the garmin unit in the dash panel. After removing the garmin and its mounting tray, in order to install the Humminbird, I had to cut the hole larger in the main dash panel because the molded recessed area was not deep enough to accommodate the new sonar. I did NOT have to modify or cut the wood grain trim panel at all, as the existing hole in it was the correct size. I simply marked the area to be cut with a black sharpy felt pen, drilled 1/4 inch holes in each corner of the area to be cut out, took a die grinder with a cut off wheel and made the cuts between the holes I drilled, drilled 2 additional holes to the right of the main hole I enlarged for the mounting studs to pass thru and then simply attached the bracket and 2 nuts that came with the Humminbird in dash mounting kit and that was it. The whole job from start to finish took less than a hour. I also believe that a Lowrance HDS5 will fit as well. Good Luck and I hope this helps. Photo0396.jpgPhoto0380.jpg