Ranger livewell problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

trooperrock

Cadet
I have a 1986 Ranger 375V. Front and rear live wells. There are two switches underneath the throttle control that say fill and empty. When I switch it to fill, it does not fill all the way and when the pump is turned on, it never fills all the way. What is happening here and are there any web sites explaining what happens where I can't see. Any help appreciated. Ramrod, found the fuse in the engine compartment, Thanks again.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Ranger livewell problems

Its really hard to tell what system you have with out looking at it. It seems Ranger, like most, changed there livewells yearly, like I change underwear. The Ranger I had, (earlier than yours, Had a heater type control in it that when open it would fill part way, and then you had to close it and fill it the rest of the way with the fresh water pump.<br /><br />Oh, welcome to the forums, and keep posting. There are a few Bass Boaters here. :D

tailfin10

Cadet

Trooperrock,<br /> The "switches" you refer too are actually<br />levers operating cables which switch the position<br />of valves located in the stern bilge. In fill<br />position they allow water too flow into the wells. The depth will be determined by the depth<br />the boat is setting in the water (draft).The more<br />weight you have in the boat the more water in the wells. When you kick on the pump water should<br />fill to the overflow stand pipe,the pipe should drain water at the same rate it is being pumped<br />in thereby determining the water level.Its the way my Ranger works I think yours is the same. Call Ranger if you need to , they should help you.

D

DJ

Ditto, tailfin10.<br /><br />They will only fill to the top of the standpipes.<br /><br />Not unlike a toilet tank.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

mine is water level levers not fill mine fills when put boat in lake and drains when i pull it out mine is 361v mine fills when air system on right to top when fish is in the livewell I leave lever on low my boat has weight blast system to

Woohdog

Recruit

I'm wondering about the live well system, too. Got a '84 Ranger Commanche not too long ago. Is it normal for water from the rear live well to drain into the bilge? I'm not sure if this is normal for the recirculation system or if I've got a leak. The water is coming from the bottom of the bilge pump that supplies the rear live well. Any thoughts? Thanks!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Woohdog:<br /> I'm wondering about the live well system, too. Got a '84 Ranger Commanche not too long ago. Is it normal for water from the rear live well to drain into the bilge? I'm not sure if this is normal for the recirculation system or if I've got a leak. The water is coming from the bottom of the bilge pump that supplies the rear live well. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Welcome aboard Woohdog.<br />To answer your question, no that is not normal.<br />No water should be leaking into your bilge area.<br />Sounds to me like either a bad pump or the seal around where it goes through the transom is bad and needs re-sealing.

Woohdog

Recruit

Hey, thanks for the welcome and answer, SBN. I kinda figured it wasn't normal, since the main bilge will kick on and pump out gallons of water every now and then, but I was trying to rationalize it, too. Guess it's back to the shop. TY again.

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the same type of system in my 86 Ranger 373V.<br /><br />My understanding from the manual is that if you put it on Fill, it should take on water, if you put it on empty it should let the water out. <br /><br />Simple enough, yet mine doesn't seem to work very well. I would think that on Empty, no water would enter the system and I would think that on Fill no water would leave the system, even out of the water. I like to use the front livewell as a cooler sometimes and it seems to work better than the rear, maybe because it normally sets higher out of the water. The rear livewell always seems to take on water and let water out doesn't matter on the boats position in the water or out.<br /><br />These are cable driven systems. I would like to know if they are easily replaced or even if replacement parts are available. Or even if there is another simple way to re-work the system.

KCLOST

Commander

Me too Brian,<br /><br />Mine does the same thing...<br /><br />My understanding of the system is that "empty" only means that the livewell(s) will drain when under power or if you leave the water. It does not prevent it from filling up when at a standstill. There is no restriction.<br /><br />Fill means that it will not drain period at any point whether under load or out of the water. But to fill it completely you have to turn the pumps on...<br /><br />There is a pretty good description of the operation in the boat manual if you have it...<br /><br />Mine leaks a little while out of the water, which is why I would find replacement cable driven valves...

KCLOST

Commander

Well, I might be wrong...<br /><br />Here is what is says in my manual...<br /><br />3. Livewell Control Valve - Unique design incorporates a patented "flapper" system that allows water to flow only in the direction you desire. Its two modes of operation are: (a) Fill - allows water to flow into livewell, but not out; (b) Empty - should you decide to empty your livewell, or want to keep it empty until you catch your first fish, valve will let water flow out of livewell, but not in.<br /><br />I guess then, I have a faulty system... Because both of my livewells take on water at the empty setting...

MASTER Brian

Well, if you find new valves let me know, because mine are aparantly not working correctly either.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Empty means just that. The livewells will empty when in that position. With that said, in the empty position it will take on water per boat depth. Now if you want no water coming in turn them to fill but don't turn the pump/s on, that shuts the flapper up to keep any water from getting out when you fill them, if not you would be just recyling water all the time.

KCLOST

Commander

SBN,<br /><br />That's not how it is explained in my manual... Read my previous post above...<br /><br />But your description may be correct. I'll try the Fill setting next time out and see if water enters...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hey I might be wrong, but that is how it is in my Gambler, only mine says open/close and then my switches says fill/aerate and auto, manual and timer.

MASTER Brian

SBN, I don't think that's how they work on the older Rangers from the 80's. I don't think the pump fills them, it only aerates them. It's based on position in the water and where that switch is set. <br /><br />I'll have to dig out my manual as well and re-read it, but I believe it says the same thing KCLOST typed.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Oh, ok. The best way is to close/fill and take a water hose and put water in it and see if it leaks/runs out.<br /><br />But if what you say about not filling with the pumps then that is the way it would work then and that is a really bad design.<br /><br />Also look at the back of the boat and see if there is a honeycomb design on the inlet to the livewells, if so, then the pump fills them.

MASTER Brian

On the back of the boat are 4 holes. 1 is the hull drain, 2 are the livewell drains, which look like the hull drain, but different sizes. The 4th one is the water inlet and it has a screened filter over it. Not sure if you'd call it honeycomb or not. <br /><br />Reading the manual when I picked this boat up, my understanding is that the pumps don't fill it, they just aerate it. Everything is tucked under the battery tray and I did look there once and if memory is correct, the pump isn't even inline with the fill tube. <br /><br />I would love to get this working better, even if it requires changing the design, does anyone have a diagram of a better design?

SpinnerBait_Nut

So I take it that it's wells are in the rear of the boat.<br />If you have one in front, how does it get it's water if it is measured by how far the boat is in the water?<br />Just all my boats have always filled by pump. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.