18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

I was just wondering, Did you pre-drill the rivet holes in the deck?? I am going to do that before I epoxy coat it. I figured on going 1/32 to 3/64 over size. Did you find any spec's on the ACX acuply plywood for glue?? I went to there web site and all I found was a bunch of run around when it came to what type of glue they used as I never found any thing in concrete!! I guess I am really cautious on this as I know exposure 1 glue does not hold up. I opted for APA ratings. Do not forget to pre-drill your transom drain holes in before you epoxy!! Speaking of drain holes, Did you save your drain tubes or are you going to replace them??

I did not pre-drill the rivet holes. I figure it will be covered with glass after being installed so that would be kinda overkill. I was planning on pre-drilling my transom holes but had forgotten until you just now reminded me :eek: So I will be doing that tonight probably. I saved my drain tubes in order to find replacements but they are pretty well shot. I haven't found any specs on the aruco ply. I did read on here that it may be a softer wood or something and not as good. However! it seems to have way less voids than the regular exterior ply I used for the deck. If you seal it up real well I'd definitely recommend it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You go first....I haven't gotten to it yet as I have more epoxying to do then I need some cash to order my pool noodle flotation. I did check out the part number and it looks to be what we need. I also wonder if we should get the longer ones.

Last night I sanded all my coated deck boards in preparation for a 2nd coat. I also threw the boards in the boat for a little bit to check where my pedestal seats well go. Then cut two backing blocks out that will be mounted under those locations for added strength and fastening "meat". I have another commitment tonight but Thurs night I'll throw on the next coat of epoxy.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I didn't know if I did or did not need to sand between coats. I swear I even looked on the site and didn't find that line. However, I had a lot of bubbles and some high spots that I certainly didn't mind knocking down. It didn't take me long with a random orbit sander. I think it was a good idea actually.

I found a couple web sites that sell cases of 24 noodles......for more than I want to pay. However the sheet foam from Lowes isn't exactly cheap. I figure I'm looking at $150-200 either way. I like the noodle idea better anyway.

I'm highly irritated that it is looking like lack of available finances may put a hold on my project. I have $3k from a freelance project invoiced and when I get it this whole thing will be more than financed but until then it's slow going. I don't have an extra $200 a week for all the stuff I need. Seems like everything is $200.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Are yall talking about pool noodles as in the kind kids hold onto at swimming pools? I have a few of those and they turn to dust after a while, maybe due to UV (sunlight) ? Are they oil/gas resistant?

Pretty sure if they're disintegrating it is due to UV. I have a couple we've had for 3 years but they've usually been under our deck so they're in fine shape. From the little I've read I believe that polyethylene foam is gas/oil resistant.

HVAC Cruiser; said:
why aren't you just using 2 part pour ?

Because in the years I've been on this site everything I have seen about that foam is a horrible nightmare! Not to mention it would surely clog all the little drainage-ways in my boat's ribs.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

EZ Your boat is looking great. Was your trailer always bunks or did you convert it?

Glen

It had 2 roller bunks on it but they were shot. The keel rollers were all in pretty good shape.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That would be awesome! I'd happily PayPal you cost + shipping. Thanks!

I put my second coat of resin on the bottoms of the deck boards last night. The look like bar tops! Shame no one will ever see it :p I've used a ton of resin though. Gallon and a half already just on the bottoms. Haven't even done the transom yet. I'll have to order more to finish the tops plus the layer of glass. I'm afraid that glass layer might really eat up the resin. I'm going to email Clark Craft today and see what they recommend as far as glass.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The noodles came already! Next day service. Pretty sweet. I really just guesstimated how many I'd need. I had 2 noodles at the house and I just kinda layed them inside and outside of the stringers and eyeballed how many more of them it looked like it would take to fill the area. It appeared that I could get about 30 outside the stringers and maybe as much as 50 inside. We shall see. I ordered 3 cases of 24 noodles to start. The new noodles appear to be a little thinner than the 2 I had already.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's not the rage. It's just me and perhaps jspano is still considering it. I just like that I won't have to cut and fit all those sheets which can be messy to cut. I thought there might be a possibility of them rattling around a bit under the deck. They should drain a bit better and not stay wet as long. Noodles are a little more expensive unless you can buy them little by little at dollar stores in-season. Some people in the south have mentioned that their local Lowes/HD's don't carry the board foam so noodles may be a decent alternative for them.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

http://www.flaghouse.com/Water-Noodle-Set-Set-of-24-item-8052 price not too good at all but it beat having to drive around to a zillion different stores trying to find them especially out of season. Unbelievably quick shipping from that place. They are the thinner noodles which should allow me to fit more in. We'll see if I have to order some more.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The plan for the weekend:

-Sand the top of the deck boards to knock down the bubbles and other roughness in the first coat of epoxy

- Clean the hull out well. Blow some compressed air through the limber holes (thanks for the term bananaboater) to make sure they're clear.

-Patch some holes in the transom from an old transducer I won't be reusing that are below the level of the deck with JB Weld.

- install some dividers between the stringers to keep the noodles from sliding into my rod locker and bilge pump area using some aluminum flashing I picked up today

- fit the noodles

- glue and screw the deck down

- repair the broken aluminum tabs in the splashwell crossmember using pieces of aluminum angle and rivets I just picked up.

- scuff up and paint the topsides excluding the splashwell (I'd mess it up when I finish the transom)

- put the final coat of epoxy on the deck

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Big progress today. The deck is all in. Here's the pics:

My 3 cases of pool noodles
DSCF2372.jpg

This is one of the "bulkheads" I built with flashing and pop rivets to contain the noodles. This one keeps them out of my bilge pump area.
DSCF2375.jpg

Noodles on the sides
DSCF2377.jpg

2nd bulkhead created and more noodles installed. First deck board ready to go down.
DSCF2378.jpg

First deck board down, 2nd ready to go
DSCF2379.jpg

2nd deck board down
DSCF2380.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

3rd deck board ready to go down. Note the adhesive. It's some kind of Loctite brand crap from Home Depot. I was hoping they'd have 4200 but nope. This stuff is probably crap but who knows. 3rd bulkhead created. Notice the fishing rod I put there to determine the proper side of the rod locker. I "Bill Danced" it. (stepped on it)

DSCF2381.jpg

Noodles crammed in the front. I sat and looked at this mess for a bit to determine how to get them all trimmed
DSCF2382.jpg

Figured it out. I took them all back out and put them all back in trimming them one at a time.
DSCF2383.jpg

These are my noodle remnants. I had the PERFECT number of noodles. There were no full noodles left.
DSCF2384.jpg

Completed deck
DSCF2385.jpg

More deck. New rod locker door set in place
DSCF2386.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The carnage left behind. Gonna have to clean that up tomorrow.
DSCF2387.jpg

My workbench and garage are seriously trashed.
DSCF2388.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Last night I scuffed up all my top sides areas to be painted and sanded the deck boards. I didn't get to put on the 2nd coat of epoxy yet or paint. I did, obviously, get those couple holes in the transom that are below deck patched with some JB. So I didn't get all the stuff done I wanted to but quite a bit done. It's cold as heck here but my heater kept the garage above 60. However the thermostat on it appears to be faulty cuz it was kicking it off last night after it got up to a whopping 45. So I took it apart and jammed a screwdriver in it. That kept it running. Going to have to find out if the Dayton will send me a new thermostat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. In answer to your questions, the transom is NOT done. It's just cut and fit. Still have to overdrill all the holes and seal it. I have more pics of that when I got to it. I attached the deck with deck screws. They worked OK. Surely will get the job done. I got the shortest ones I could get away with which was fine except for a couple areas where I needed to draw the deck down more than a little bit. I definitely missed my mark a few times with them (or maybe hit some pre-existing holes) so I have a few extra holes. Not super thrilled about that. But they'll all get filled in with epoxy.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've been working on the boat a lot this week. Got the topsides and any painted aluminum on the interior scuffed up and painted 2 coats. Taping all the aluminum trim was a pain. The only painting I have left to do is the consoles, transom and splashwell which will be completed once the transom is fully installed. Tonight I'm going to put the final coat of epoxy on the deck including a layer of fiberglass cloth on the seams. First I will measure for my marine vinyl and get that ordered. Once the deck is dry enough to walk on, I may start fabbing up my bow and stern casting decks. I'll snap some pics of the paint after I take all the tape off.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Here's the pictures.

Deck sealed with final coat of epoxy and interior exposed metal painted:
DSCF2394.jpg

DSCF2393.jpg

Prior to painting I replaced the cracked tabs that held this support brace up with pieces of aluminum angle and rivets:
DSCF2392.jpg

Fiberglass cloth over the seams. It wet out pretty well so it's tough to see. I found this to be a pain to work with so I'm glad I decided not to do the whole deck:
DSCF2395.jpg

One of my new SC decals installed. LOVE IT:
DSCF2389.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks everyone. I think I missed a question above.....the bulkheads are made from flashing. Cheapest way to get my hands on some aluminum. As for my plans for the locker....it's actually going to be a rod locker not a ski locker. So I'm going to put some kind of rack in there to hold the rods in place.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Busy day on the boat today. Lots o' woodworking. Got pretty much everything in the bow area cut out and fitted. Camera apparently got real dusty.

DSCF2460.jpg

DSCF2459.jpg

DSCF2463.jpg

DSCF2462.jpg

DSCF2461.jpg