fish finder screen moisture

brierwolf

Recruit
I recently inherited a procraft 180combo 1997. the fish finder has moisture trapped behind the screen. Any suggestions how to solve this problem.
thank you

brierwolf

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: fish finder screen moisture

What kind of fishfinder and what year? You can try setting the unit in a large container with rice poured all around it. This will absorb the moisture eventually, but it won't fix the issue! How is the water getting into the unit to start with. May just be time for a new unit.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had an old Eagle fish finder that came with a boat I bought. It worked great for the first couple of years then one day I went out and it was fogged up. I had simply neglected it and left the boat uncovered sitting out in the weather. I called the Eagle folks and for $50 got a brand new upgraded model.. Eagle EZ or something like that. Unfortunately it died when that same boat got oodles of rainwater in it while the i/o motor was getting overhauled and the fishfinder was left in the rod box which got a few inches of water in it thanks to my son leaving the top open.... I've been meaning to call again to see if I can get a cheap replacement for this one.

brierwolf

Recruit

it is a Hummingbird mounted in the dash. I've tried desicant placed on the outsid of the screen and made it moisture proof to see if it would pull the moisture. But this was not successful. As far as how moisture got in there when we cleaning the boat after bringing it back we (grandson and by gosh he jumped right to work on the boat, not bad for 7) sprayed the unit with water. Dows anyone know how to remove dash and possibly pull the fish finer our.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't know your boat enough to give specifics but I do know that many boats have a dash panel which fits over a big hole. The panel is usually screwed to the boat cap with maybe 4 screws, sometimes under decorative covers. Not sure, but may have to remove steering wheel. As for getting moisture out.... at this moment I have my drowned fish finder in a zip loc bag that I had heated in the microwave to remove the moisture from it. To begin with I was able to locate a plug somewhat like a breathing plug or maybe something like that on the back of my unit. Where the big plastic mounting bolts screw into the side I used a knife to drill a hole through the plastic then I used an air hose with blower to force air in and push water out one hole then the other.... once I was satisfied that I had all the water out that I could get out then I put it in the bag with the hot microwaved rice. So far things look good. I see no sign of moisture but am giving it a few days before I plug it in to see if it still functions. I'm more worried now about corrosion and whether or not the switches work.