Do it yourself Porta Dolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitz351

Cadet
So I accidentally dropped one of my Porta dolly wheels overboard as I was lifting a cooler the other day and of course there is no buoyancy and it sank like a rock! I called Porta Bote and a replacement set is around $250! I was wondering if anyone out there has made their own version of a Porta Dolly?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Do it yourself Porta Dolly

Dolly wheels are usually generic items--used by different manufacturers for different uses. Tractor Supply (TSC) has a great selection of all kinds and sizes of wheels.

Jakko

Recruit

Dolly wheels are usually generic items--used by different manufacturers for different uses. Tractor Supply (TSC) has a great selection of all kinds and sizes of wheels.

I have seen poto bote owners using wheels that are designed for canoes, much cheeper than porta bote wheels

barato2

Commander

i used to use a kayak dolly til it was liberated when i left it on shore. worked OK, but the tough part was securing the PB to stay on the thing. that, and the fact that skinny wheels sunk into soft sand where i launched. i may look into making up a set of "baja beach wheels" that will clamp onto transom, like what the tin boat guys use to beach launch.

just remember that if you adapt wheels, don't get any with bearings that will rust.......

Tom G.

Recruit
I feel your pain. I did the exact same thing last weekend. I was considering having someone scuba dive for the wheel after I found it is almost 300 bucks for a new set. I have sent pictures of the remaining wheel to a couple metal fabrication shops nearby (sacramento) . The wheels are very inexpensive. I found some that look very close to the originals at Tractor Supply (mentioned above) for around 20 bucks each. I'll let you know what I find out from the metal shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.