How can I transport the 6 hp outboard for my Porta Bote

DEM

Cadet
I am hesitant to trailer my 12 foot Porta Bote with an outboard on it, even if it comes in at the maximum 50 some pounds. Does not seem the transom could stand the stress. I saw one system, in a photo, where someone had rigged a system where the little outboard seemed on a stand that was attached to the hitch up by the vehicle??? How do you guys transport outboards?

JMoors

Cadet
Re: How can I transport the 6 hp outboard for my Porta Bote

Well I built an engine stand for mine using a "walker" I bought at GoodWill Store and I put that with the engine in the back of my Pickup truck and strap the walker down.

Poncho12345

Recruit
Re: How can I transport the 6 hp outboard for my Porta Bote

I am hesitant to trailer my 12 foot Porta Bote with an outboard on it, even if it comes in at the maximum 50 some pounds. Does not seem the transom could stand the stress. I saw one system, in a photo, where someone had rigged a system where the little outboard seemed on a stand that was attached to the hitch up by the vehicle??? How do you guys transport outboards?

I do not not blame you for being cautious about transporting any outboard engine on the porta bote transom. I have a ten foot porta bote with a five horse Nissan. Weighs about 60 pounds. I also assemble the boat and leave it on my boat trailer. This saves putting it up and taking it down at the river. I usually put the engine in the back of my vehicle and install it each time I get to the ramp. I wish that I could just put the motor on in my back yard and leave it there. One time on the way home I left the engine on and was quite nervous driving only a few miles to my driveway. Quite simply I don't think this transom can support it with confidence. If you figure out a way to do this safely, please advise. I would really appreciate it.