I have one: a 1978 Penn Yan Explorer Outboard

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Purchased this boat used approximately one and half years ago.

The boat is a 1978 Penn Yan Explorer (outboard version). There weren't that many of these boats.

I am in the process of slowly restoring it. It currently has a wide open cockpit. I don't know what the original seating configuration was. I suspect it had some back-to-back seats in it.

I think the bow area of this boat is somewhat unique. One can open the center section of the windshield, push a sliding deck hatch forward and then walk to the bow to access any one of three storage compartments or handle the anchor. This is a very handy feature and not one that I have seen on other boats.

Another nice feature for a boat this size is the fish box. It has a 5' x 24"W x18"D fish box (I guess that is what it is) in the sole between the operator and passenger seat at midship.

The boat is currently powered by a 1982 Merc 150. It is rated for 200hp, but I find the 150 to be a very good match. The boat cruises comfortably at 25mph at about 3800 rpm. WOT can be as high as 42 mph lightly loaded. The classic hull shape gives it a nice easy ride in most conditions. A big chop will give you a bumpy ride at high speeds given that the operator is sitting (or standing) so far forward.

Things I like about the boat:
- It is built like a tank. The PY folks really made a solid hull
- Nice soft ride in most conditions
- Performance with a 150hp engine
- Wide open cockpit
- Access to the bow

Things I don't like:
- It is a very heavy boat
- PY's building method included a wood cored sole and sole hatches. I have re-cored the sole hatches. I need to re-do the floor at the end of this season and I may do the transom at the same time while I have everything ripped up.
- Hardware near the transom is completely unreachable. This includes cleats on the aft deck as well as the bilge pump. To swap out the bilge pump, one needs to pull a fuel tank unless their arms are 6' long.

These picture are from last year and there have been some small changes, but you will get the basic idea of the boat.

IMG_2074.jpg

Py1.jpg

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: I have one: a 1978 Penn Yan Explorer Outboard

The OB version of the Explorer IS nice. I looked at one in Charleston, SC, found it on Craigslist, it sold quickly. 150h is a good size engine for it, in my opinion. Check out www.slawecki.com for the PY catalogs, you'll find the specs and info for most years. The 20.5 Explorer didn't change much from year to year. The catalogs make an interesting read.

As to it's weight, is your concern related to getting it on/off the trailer? Back then, tilt trailers were the norm and from experience, properly designed, they were a breeze to use, even more so if you replaced the wood/carpet bunks with the 5' roller bunks available today. Retrieval was easy, too, with a good two speed winch or power winch. Add a catwalk to the trailer so you can walk out and attach the hook to the boat, then patiently pull it on.

I recently bought a '76 Explorer Open tunnel. Need to rebuild the motor, replace the floor, don't know yet about the stringers, but I'm hopeful that as it wasn't kept either in the water or in the open, that sitting water did not destroy the stringers.

Please keep me posted on your progress.
Take care! Weareallnuts

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I have one: a 1978 Penn Yan Explorer Outboard

4 year old post...