Pretty poor build quality

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I love my Monterey ......... but on w/end when I opened the engine hatch on my 194FS .. the hinge came right away.

The details are is a separate post ... http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...topics/10246893-monterey-194fs-needs-a-repair

I just wanted to let other owners know that there is a shocking detail point here - mild steel T-Nuts have been used as the threaded insert for the engine hatch .... mild steel should not be used on a marine craft .. and in my case being used in salt water.

They rusted so badly - all that is left is a wafer thin rust stain on the foam ... !!!

This appears to be a case of using the wrong grade of material as it is in a place that can't be seen .......... poor form, and appalling attention to detail on quality of build.

I was even surprised that plywood was used for the board .... I had been told that it was all composites - no wood used in construction - this is simply not true.

So be warned.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
5yr old .... never kept on a mooring, trailered and has its own boat shed ..... I have had 10 yr old boats with no corrosion .... very surprised about this ..... why on earth would a manufacturer use plain steel T-Nuts ... on a marine craft. Stainless screws used ... makes you think is it because they are out of sight ?

My other concern is the foam is wrapped in a thin plastic sheet .... so any water that gets in has difficulty getting out .. there are no drain vents anywhere in the cover. As this a sunbathing platform it is going to get wet ... ability to dry out should be designed in.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Plastic sheet over foam is normal. It does keep water out of the foam.

Did you buy the boat new? Have you taken this up with Monterey?

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I have asked Monterey for a name to discuss the quality issue ... no response yet.
Can't bring it up on Monterey forum.... posts have to be approved by Monterey and not approved yet.
(They are very selective on what posts they allow.)

The plastic over foam maybe a nice idea ..
It does not work fully ... foam was wet...so water getting in ...presumably through stitching.
The issue is with no drain holes or vents it does not find its way out.

The water 'retention' has then caused severe corrosion ... enough to result in catastrophic failure.
Stainless steel machine screws should screw into stainless inserts.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
After a week still no response from Monterey - contact using the Web form gets auto response - nothing else. Contact via FB - no response, and posting to owners forum - fails to get put on-line. Seriously disappointed in their support, I expected better.

Last edited: