Is this the oldest Mirrocraft?

Jeep Man

Commander
I wish I had photos. Hopefully when I get back to the cottage. I have a model 1432 made by Aluminium Goods Manufacturing, which in 1957 (I am told) changed it's name to Mirro Aluminium Co.,and adopted the Mirrocraft brand. Aluminium Goods started making boats in 1956. The I.D. plate on mine lists the mfg. as Aluminium Goods.
Can anyone confirm if this is research is correct?

Richard Lewis

Recruit
Re: Is this the oldest Mirrocraft?

I have a 1956 Mirrocraft.

This was from a Antique Outboarder magazine article.

Mirro Aluminum Company noticed West Bend aluminum's success in the marine field (both known for their cookware). West Bend went into outboard motors while Mirro decided to build boats.

The first Mirro-Craft cruised into the marketplace in 1956. The key distinction in their construction is the use of lapstrake hulls. It has been preferred where strength, handling and stability are important factors. It greatly increases hull impact and yield strength and reduces drag.

The line ranged from a 10 foot pram to an 18 foot sport fisherman. Mirro Crafts 14 foot Sportsman and 14-16 foot Runabouts were the marque's finest and most popular offerings.

While very rugged by any standards, they were rather spartan and ranked among the best "starter" family runabouts.

My title says Mirro-Craft and it was from 1956.

Hope this helps.

Richard Lewis

Jeep Man

Commander

Thanks for replying Richard. Yes, this helps but at the same time adds a little confusion. What I had found out about Alluminium Goods and the fact that a reply from Mirrocraft said they started in 1957, I assumed mine was a 1956. But you say yours is a 1956.
My boat is a 14' runabout. Do you have a picture of yours?
Also, I need a windshield....any ideas?

jimbarrt

Cadet

Hello, I have a 1960 MirroCraft, my dad bought new. [Ski & Troll model, Hull #1470] It doesn't have the lapstrake design, I have a brochure from 64 that shows lapstraek hulls. I'm gonna try and attach a photo of mine, [restored] and the dealer photo from 60. Hope it helps. [for some reason, the jpegs needed to be reduced very small!]

Attachments

• Picture 086, smaller.jpg
    Picture 086, smaller.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020058,smaller.jpg
    P1020058,smaller.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020074,smaller.jpg
    P1020074,smaller.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1

lumberdog4U

Recruit

I also have a 56 mirrocraft that I am restoring my title have 1956 15' mirrocraft

jimbarrt

Cadet

I also have a 56 mirrocraft that I am restoring my title have 1956 15' mirrocraft

Pictures! Please! Any info you have. Please post. Any history? Looking forward to hearing about another Mirro--jim

Richard Lewis

Recruit

I have lots of pictures of my boat. I have a brochure from the MirroCraft factory that shows a turquoise lapstrake boat in the early years. Also have a color ad from 1963 (that most have already seen) that shows the smooth aluminum (red and white) one like you have. I had the original MirroCraft logo made for my boat also. As far as the question about windshields, go to Taylor Made Products in Gloversville, NY. That is where I got mine and they made the original 50 years ago.

If you want to see the pictures or the brochure email me (see below). This forum downsizes the pictures so much they are not of good quality. Let us exchange pictures offline. When you write, send any you have also.

richard.lewis@nasa.gov

Thanks...

Richard Lewis

Recruit

Maybe these are big enough to see.
5 PIX are all you are allowed to upload
Email me for better quaility and more pictures.
I gave it a try.

Thanks...

Attachments

• Brochure.jpg
    Brochure.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Turquoise.jpg
    Turquoise.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 9861SML.JPG
    9861SML.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 9862SML.JPG
    9862SML.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 9863SML.JPG
    9863SML.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 3

Jeep Man

Commander

Thanks for the pictures. Mine has the lapstrake sides design and very similiar in style to yours. The one difference is the bow cover. Mine is presently painted a dark green but where it is chipped, it's a dark red underneath. I thought it was primer. My bow cover isn't smooth. It has grooves every 3 inches, simulating wood strips.
As my boat lists Aluminium Goods as the mfg., I can only conclude thatit is a 1955 model.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a mirrocraft that i am also trying to find info on. As far as i know from the mirrocraft websites about us says they made boats from 56 on. according to my boats HIN mine is a 54. the year on my boat registration says 0000 on it so that is no help. :D

Bob59/60

Recruit

I would like to join this discussion and will post restoration pictures ASAP.
Last spring (2009) I purchased a 1959 14' Sea King aluminum runabout (forward deck, not the more common open skiff). The gentleman I bought it from was in his late 80's and bought it about 10 years ago following it being stored by his friend in a shed for approx. 30+ years. He informed me that Sea King was the line of boats sold by Montgomery Ward and I started my research from there. Not a ton of Internet info out there but a few sources point to Mirrocraft as one of the manufacturers of aluminum boats for Wards.
The boat was a real find, in pristine condition other than a thick coat of brushed on blue paint. I bought it w/o a motor and since I intended to use it, had it repowered. Of course it had cable steering and an old Evinrude throttle/gearshift which were removed to allow for Teleflex steering with a new 20HP Merc 4 stroke. Now realizing the potential rarity of this boat, I kick myself for not saving the original steering hardware, especially the bezel on the wooden dashboard (had to install a new wheel to accomodate Teleflex).
So far, I haven't found anything like it, i.e., runabout rather than skiff. I was finally able to locate a 1965 Mirrocraft 14' open skiff and observed all hull hardwear to be absolutely identical to the Sea King.
Not the oldest Mirrocraft, but it is sure starting to look like a member of the family.
I'll get some pictures up, hope someone out there is still interested in this subject.