Dash Plaque Westfield Custom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody550

Cadet
Does anyone out there with a 1964 MFG Westfield Custom have the dash plaque in really good condition that you could take a high resolution picture of? My boat has been at the shop for a lot of work and the dash plaque appears to have been lost during the stripping process. I'd like to get a new decal made up from a high res image. Please reply if you could do that. She'll be in the water like new this month after a long process! Many thanks!

Attachments

• photo267007.jpg
    photo267007.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

southkogs

Staff member
There ya' go Chris - let's see if a new topic gets ya' something.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wish I could help but I have an Edinboro Custom ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
IMG_8634.jpg

That's about the best I can do .. Might be able to blow it up and the sticker place should be able to duplicate I would think ..
Hey if you get one made let me know where ... I need one myself ....

Woody550

Cadet
sphelps thanks very much for the pic. Hopefully we can get a closeup from someone. Worst case maybe i can create something in Adobe Illustrator using a closeup of the die cast MFG emblem with shark that is near the stern, change it up to match the left side of the decal since its close, and then match the Westfield Custom font. I'd rather not do that of course, but we'll see.....!

Woody550

Cadet
The decal background is chrome as i remember. Black on top. Do you agree?

Woody550

Cadet
Also, obviously if i have to 1) use Illustrator and am 2) actually successful creating the graphic, then I will make an Edinboro Custom also! Probably get the black overlay made by Zillow and stick it to a blank plastic chrome with adhesive backing. Is your Edinboro plaque have red in it?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I don't remember any red ...I think I put it up in the garage . I'll look and see if I can find it . That way we can at least get the actual size .
The MFG logo looks identical to the one on your capacity plate if you still have it ...
I'll send a pm to gm . He may have a way of recreating or at least some ideas..

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hello Sam

I did check out that plate and there is a perfect technique to make one exactly like that. It is called sublimation process. You design the exact layout and then it is printed off on a special type paper with special inks. Then that special printed paper is heat transferred onto a metal plate and it looks perfectly new and original.

If I could get the exact dimensions, I could design the layout and post it so it could be made locally. I don't have the equipment to actually make one.

Our LASER doesn't do sublimation, only LASER engravings.

Here is my new spec plate I designed from the old one using that sublimation process;

Old New.jpg

Here is another plate I designed and had made.

Remote - 7M.jpg

Any trophy type shop in your local area has that capability to do sublimation. Just let me know if he wants me to do the payout so he can carry it with him to get his made.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks gm !
Woody550 I have looked around and have not found my old one yet ... It may have even been destroyed taking it off ... Soooo long ago it's hard to remember ..
I'm thinking it was about an 1-1/4" wide and around 8 to 10 inches long ...
How about some pics of the whole boat ! I love these old classics !!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually did some searching and have found the LOGO on some other boating sites. So If you guys can post the plate's dimensions, I could post a design to see how you all like it. And if you do like it, I can provide the file in the form needed to have it sublimated locally. JMHO

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I know for sure that I did not tear mine up when I removed it .. I found an old pic of me holding it but I have yet to find it ...
I hope I didn't do something stupid like tossing it ...:facepalm:

Woody550

Cadet
sphelps and gm280 thanks for continuing the discussion! I've been offline for awhile. Agreed that if you have a high res version of the logo then the font for Westfield Custom or Edinboro Custom is probably pretty easy to match or get so close nobody would notice the difference. I'd estimate the plaque length at 8"x1" but sphelps you may be right with your estimates. My plaque colors were black (and chrome background) only. I'm on board with trying the sublimation approach if you can design it up gm! Your earlier work looks awesome. It makes me think of my situation: I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my original spec plate made it through the teardown ok (I think they said it did). I might want a vintage Merc controller plate in the future too. Nice work :). Thanks again to both for the ongoing discussion. I'll post some photos separately of the current boat status - I live about 6hrs from the shop and had a chance to be there two weekends ago.

Woody550

Cadet
Pics from 2 weeks ago at shop in Boston area. Lots I could talk about with resto but I'll try to keep it short. "Grandpa's boat" so more $ than can be justified of course: 'glas stringer system reglassed and extended, integrated into transom instead of butting up as it was. Makes structure extremely rigid. Hull patched and re-gelcoated. New foam. Top painted OEM color instead of gelcoated. Inside spatter pattern paint recreated. Rare windshield frame with latching opening. New (to me) original steering wheel (loooong story on that). New '16 Merc 75 vinyl covered in retro look. Not trying to fool anyone, just look more vintage. Big black cowling and its design didn't fit with the boat so vinyl design softens this up a bit. Controller will have body vinyl covered in white (maybe a vintage Merc plate now that I see gm's work!). Pebble/sandpaper feel gunwale walls brand new - they found replacements online. Al h/w is original with some pits and dings but cleaned up. Still to come: replacement bimini top and stern covers being made from originals. No clear side curtains coming for now. They are making me a simple stern area cover to hide the gas tanks and battery during use in vinyl matching seats. Wiring in place for my trolling motor with quick disconnect at stern. Trolling batteries (s) with switch up in bow. Fun-N-Sun seats were recovered in mid 2000's but other shop butchered the h/w sawing bolts off. This shop is trying to clean it up as best as they can. New stern light SS pole. New wiring throughout. Probably more if I think about it. I hope to have it by end of June.....Ok, after all this text, the photo uploader isn't working. <sigh> I'll try again at some point.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow! Fun and Sun seats and original steering wheel !!
I had to recreate my F/S seats and good luck finding a steering wheel ....
But I do have the original hard top ! 🙂

Woody550

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo267987.JPG
    photo267987.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo267988.JPG
    photo267988.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo267989.JPG
    photo267989.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo267990.JPG
    photo267990.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is a nice boat and I really lie the engine. :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Very nice job on the gellcoat !!
Maybe I could make a mold or a plug of the hard top and fabricate one for ya ... I would have to think about how to pull it off ... I'm sure it can be done somehow .

Status
Not open for further replies.