Is 115hp too much for 172 blackwater?

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a 2002 172 blackwater without a motor. I see most of them have a 90hp. Does anybody have a 115hp on one? I read it can take up to a 115hp engine. My kids are getting bigger and trying to pull a skier with a couple people in the boat I want all the motor i can for the boat. On the same token if its not going to sit or ride right with the bigger motor I will stick with a 90. Also what lenght shaft motor do they recomend on this boat? I know usually you want the cavatation plate level with the V on the stern. This hull has a tunnel hull so not sure what lenght motor I should look for.

any help would be appreciated.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is 115hp too much for 172 blackwater?

I have an '04 with a Yamaha 90. No problem with tubes and toys but never tried to pop a heavy skier. I would think a 2 stroke if going bigger as the extra weight of a 115 I'd not want and especially not that of a 4 stroke. With a heavier motor and an adult sitting at the stern watching the skier it may be more than I want back there depending on where you are going to use the boat. In the ICW I get some high wakes from very large boats with no problem as the weight is distributed well with no more than a fisherman in the stern and another in the bow with me at the console and fuel tank also near center. I'll have my boat on the trailer this week and will measure- the tunnel is designed for use of a short shaft in order to get into skinny water with a boat designed to take heavier water too. I hope we both learn from someone with a 115 mounted.

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Is 115hp too much for 172 blackwater?

Thanks for the response. My gut feeling is the boat runs best with a 90, hopefully some guys will chime in who have a 115.