Motor shaft length?

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure what size engine shaft I need for my 14ft McKee. Might sounds stupid, but I heard people put both on the boat- It can run with a 15" or a 20".

Any input on this guys? I heard longer shafts can increase drag and overall performance of the boat will decrease. Any chance you guys can help me out?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Motor shaft length?

Not sure what size engine shaft I need for my 14ft McKee. Might sounds stupid, but I heard people put both on the boat- It can run with a 15" or a 20".

Any input on this guys? I heard longer shafts can increase drag and overall performance of the boat will decrease. Any chance you guys can help me out?

What's the measurement from the top of the center of the transom (where the outboard would mount) to the keel?

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ill have to go and measure that when I get home. Pardon my ignorance, but Im not sure if it has a tunnel hull. Mine looks a lot like the pic that ColonialRovers posted, but with the sides much deeper into the water. Somewhat of a "M" shape to it. Ill go measure that transom to keel distance when ASAP!

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Transom height is 18in for measurement "B". What would be a good shaft size? Id like to avoid drag and get the best performance out of it.

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice

here is the link to the same question I posted on the hulltruth, this has pictures.

Thanks

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From what I understand the shaft length might be useable on many boats, however in rough or choppy water the short-shaft will lose effectiveness. The power delivery is lost due to cavitation.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

From what I understand the shaft length might be useable on many boats, however in rough or choppy water the short-shaft will lose effectiveness. The power delivery is lost due to cavitation.

Old thread chief...