New here with a free 14ft? boat

LocalHero

Cadet
I found this forum searching for info for Mckee Craft. I have been offered a free Mckee Craft that looks to be a 14 or 15ft boat with ok trailer and maybe ok motor. I know it sounds like I'd be crazy not to take it but I'm wondering how much work/$$$ are likely to be involved in it all.
The boat mod # is mkc44360H586. Am I right in guessing that it's a 1986 model? Any other info that can be gleaned from that #? I looked for the Mckee craft site and it's up but under construction. Don't know if they'll be coming back in business or not.

So some quick reading here and I see that I should look for soft spots. I walked around the boat and didn't find much that was alarming but I'm assuming there's some water in the hull as it's been sitting for a year or more. Can the boat just be flipped over and allowed to drain somehow? Is water in the foam automatically a big problem or only if there's soft spots?

I took pics via my phone but haven't figured out how to get them off the phone yet.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but thanks for any help with these,

John

Re: New here with a free 14ft? boat

McKee craft has been out of business for a while. To get the images off the phone I email them from my phone to my email account..

LocalHero

Cadet

Yeah, I guess I was fooled by their forum which says "coming soon":
http://mckeecraft.com/home

I've read more and realize they're bankrupt and another co is making similar boats.
All my original questions still stand though...

I've got a lot of info off of the hull truth & whaler central.

I had an older McKee for a while which had water issues, I ended up drilling that hull and got about 5 or 6 gallons out of it. On my whaler it's currently flipped on the trailer, but water intrusion does not appear to be an issue, even though the gel coat is crazed.

For my old McKee a 17' flipping was not an option for me where it was, so I drilled and used a wet vacuum.

Not sure what the 14' should weigh, but that's where I start and compare yours' to that.

LocalHero

Cadet

I've got a lot of info off of the hull truth & whaler central.

I had an older McKee for a while which had water issues, I ended up drilling that hull and got about 5 or 6 gallons out of it. On my whaler it's currently flipped on the trailer, but water intrusion does not appear to be an issue, even though the gel coat is crazed.

For my old McKee a 17' flipping was not an option for me where it was, so I drilled and used a wet vacuum.

Not sure what the 14' should weigh, but that's where I start and compare yours' to that.

I looked up what I could on the 14' Mckees from 86 and almost all of them are supposed to weigh 665lbs. How can I tell if there's water in the hull and if so, how much?
I'll check out the other two sites. I'd registered for the Hull truth but I think the Mckee forum there has been closed down.

Thanks,
John

LocalHero

Cadet

Ok, I've spent a lot of time reading here, on the Hull Truth and Whaler Central and I decided to go for the free boat. First question I have is how to tell if there's water in the hull. Opinions seem to vary (maybe I did too much reading) with some saying to weigh the boat and others saying that's way too inaccurate. But if not weighing, then what? Just drill a hole and see if water comes out?

I'd also like to know how to id the boat so I could tell how much it should weigh. And how are manufacturer weights figured... with just the bare essentials like seats, steering console, etc? Is there a not-too-hard method to weigh a boat off the trailer or do I have to weigh the trailer separately then add the boat?

Thanks,
John

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Hero and welcome to iboats. I read THT from time to time as well. Don't let anyone discourage or dissuade you from your course of boat ownership. Don't let someone tell you a free boat is only worth half what you paid for it :D or get into heated debate weather or not the best way to make a million dollars is start with two million dollars and a free boat.:p
The first part of a restore is making sure your heart is in it, and both sites will set you to the task. Hang in there and welcome aboard.

LocalHero

Cadet

Thanks Hydra, the first step in my mind is to make sure the boat isn't worth less than nothing. I'm hoping it won't take as much work as projects like this sometimes do but until I get the boat in my hands I won't be able to assess it.
I try to stay out of heated debates in any forum!

Post some photos of the boat when you get it and keep us advised of your progress. Good Luck