swim ladder too short, or I'm too old!

bmal

Cadet
I have a 92' maxum 1800 xr with a outboard. Swim platforms on both side of the motor. One platform has a one step retractable aluminum tube ladder bolted to the under side of the platform. A twothree/ step would be better. Any recommendations, brands, anyone done it, issues in the change? Thanks!

mtlewis

Recruit
Re: swim ladder too short, or I'm too old!

I have a 92 also and im having a heck of a time finding any accessories for it like a ladder extention or even a new ladder if u have any luck please let me know thanks!

I am having the same issue. My boat is a 1992 Maxum 1700 XR and one step just doesn't cut it. I want to replace it with a 3 step but I can't find a thing about it as far as what will actually work and how to do it. I like the way the origional one fits together under the platform but it's just too darned short. :(
There are plenty to choose from but how do you know what one is going to work for this situation? I can't even find the origional manufacturer of the 1 stepper to look it up that way.
Did anyone ever find one that actually works?

panel.jpg
I need to remove a side panel to access the bolts that are holding the 1 stepper in place but I don't know how to get it off. Any ideas? :confused:

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can still call US Marine and speak to a Maxum person. I did about 3 months ago and the girl I talked with was very helpful. She sent me an owners manual and a complete parts list for my 1995 1800XR. All of the parts (with the exception of upholstery, which is available through another company she gave me the name to) are still available through US Marine.

360-435-8957
boathelp@usmboats.com

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have only one step and just ordered a 4 step ladder from Overtons that will still swing up on my swim deck. I looked here on i-boats and did not see one that would work. As of now I step on the lower unit then the one step I have to get back in the boat.....and it sucks......

Thanks Floatfan. I called the number and got a voicemail. (it's saturday) I'll definitely follow up with them. Now I'm one step closer to getting into my boat without injuring myself. :redface:

Icyharp, I was thinking of going that route but I am leary of drilling holes on the top side of my small "swim deck". I guess I'm just paranoid that way.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I understand, I have a full teak platform that already has a crappy ladder on it. My new one will be here this week, but should have done this long ago as my wife just slipped and fell on the crappy ladder I have now yesterday. But I found one that would bolt up closely to where I have mine now.

Here is a shot of what I was dealing with...I will post one up later of the new ladder.

745.jpg

I see you have a nice big platform. This is what I'm dealing with. I need to get this thing off so that I can install a 3 or 4 stepper in it's place. I can't get to the bolts on the inside of the boat. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wondering if you could get one of them under deck ones and somehow make it work? Looking at what yours looks like from the underside you might be able too, unless I am seeing the extra room wrong in front of the step. That whole section looks like it is screwed into from the underside and you just take it completely off, then go from there.

Yes, that's right. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I just need to unbolt it but there are nuts on the inside that I can't get at. I can see one of them through the speaker hole but I can't reach it.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wonder if you took the pins out of the ladder and then matched that with a telescoping ladder and slid it back it then reinstalled then pins on the new ladder in the same area as your factory one? I am just shooting out ideas...

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I wanted to post a pic of the ladder I got a few weeks ago but I am having to modify it a tad. It is too narrow to be able to mount where I want it. So right now I have cut it in half and making the treads wider. Working on getting the correct tread material the right size, should be done next week and I will get pics up of what I have done.

Just keeping ya up to date, since I did say I would post pics.

BoatAllDay95

Recruit

Yeah my dad has a nice boat but he needs to hurry and get the ladder done which will take some time but i want to swim in lakes and not have to step on the drive unit to get up. ;)