Recommendation on my 1st Boat

My wife and I are shopping for our 1st boat and have narrowed it down to 3 models: A) 2001 Mariah 192 Shabah Bowrider, 5.0L EFI Merc, SS 5-blade prop, painted single axle trailer, Wakeboard Tower, Swim Platform, all canvas including Bimini Top, B) 2000 Mariah 202 Shabah Bowrider, 5.0L EFI Merc, painted single axle trailer, all canvas including Bimini Top, 190 hrs, very clean, C) 2000 Crownline 180 BR, 4.3L Merc, all canvas including Bimini Top, painted single axle trailer.

We are looking for a good quality, solid, dependable fresh water boat that can pull a tube or skier and handle the waves decently. Both Mariahs are the same price. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Recommendation on my 1st Boat

Welcome to iboats.

The Shabahs have a sharp v at the bow, that remains sharp at the transom(although it is still less than at the bow, it is called variable deadrise). This makes them a little slow(no more so than other manufacturers that have similar hull shapes) climbing onto plane, but they handle chop very well, and remain stable at higher speeds. I have no experience in a crownline.

Of the boats that you listed above, and your intended usage, any of them would work. Here are some things to consider.

The Crownline has the 4.3(EFI or carb?) not a V8, however it is also the smallest boat so it may actually be the fastest. I have a 4.3 in my 18'er, and it will push it to 50mph. I will also add that at 18', it can get crowded, quick. Mine is rated for seven passengers, but five is too many.

Boat B is the largest boat and should offer the smoothest ride, with a sacrifice in speed.

Boat A is already equiped for watersports. It has a tower and five bladed prop.

All three of these boats are approaching ten years old, and at this point, how they have been cared for will matter alot more than initial quality does. You should consider a professional survey when you narrow it down to a single choice. They will dig a little deeper into the structure and condition of the boat than most people are comfortable doing themselves.

One last question - what is your tow vehicle?

Thanks alot for the suggestions, they are a big help. The 4.3L is a carb and the other two are EFI. We aren't too concerned for top speed since most of the lakes here are limited to 40mph. Pulling a tube or skier would be the only use other than cruising and leisure.

The tow vehicle is a Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9L. Also, the 202 Shabah has only been used 1 week each year and is meticulously clean and professionally winterized, shrink wrapped, and serviced each season. Both Mariahs are listed for $15,900 and the Crownline is $12,500.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

There is roughly a $2000-2500 difference in the value of the engines(4.3carb vs 5.0EFI) So there is very little difference in the boat values overall. If I were shopping these three, then the crownline would be out of the running based on size(although it is the same size as the boat I have now, we are now looking to upsize) If the 202 is in as good a condition as it should be based on the usage and care you stated above, I think it would be worth a closer look.