mariah diablo

180Diablo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
wow, looks like it has been a while since anyone posted pics of their mariah boats. So I guess I will. :)

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558075799claFDd

Bought it used in Sept 2006 from a marina on the north end of our lake. Looking forward to being out on a boat during the summer, since this is the first boat I have ever owned. Im looking to tour the Trent Severn waterway in Central Ontario. Here is the Parks Canada webpage with information about the locks: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/trentsevern/visit/visit6_E.asp

Its a 1993 Mariah Diablo 18ft, 130hp Merc Alpha1 (gen 2 ). Tarps were bought new about 3 years ago. Prior to myself taking ownership of the boat, it had been sitting where you see in the pic for the past year and a half.

But it was properly winterized prior to sitting for that length of time, so it was good to go for me in Sept to take it out for a test drive. The boat turns on the water like it has rails, there is no "sliding" effect in the turns.

Im happy with it. I hope it turns out to be a reliable boat on the water.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: mariah diablo

Mine was also a "rescue" It was purchased new in '96 and the registration was never renewed. It had 44 hours on it and had been sitting for 7 or 8 years. It was covered, so the interior is all original and in perfect condition. I think our only complaint at this point (aside from wanting a bigger one) is the poor design of the bilge vents. You have to be real careful when coming off plane or they turn into water scoops.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/275170387qaquHs

180Diablo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow 44hrs is brand new! I dont think mine has an hour gauge on it. I could probably get one added on and hide it somewhere in the engine bay. So at least I know how much I have done over my first summer on it.

Yeah it looks like yours needs a little bit of cleanup and some elbow grease on it to get it looking new again. I love all the accents and embroidery work that went into the Mariahs. Where abouts is the bilge vent located on that model ? Beauty lookin boat!

In May, we have already designated the weekends as " lets fix up my boat weekend". We want to get it prepped and ready before May 2-4 weekend (Victoria day long weekend up here). Depending on how warm it is that weekend, I may just get them to put it in for me about a week or 2 after.

Course being a long weekend but also the first weekend that the Trent Severn and the locks are operational again, traffic along the trent would probably be a little quieter.

www.trentsevern.com has a countdown timer to when the locks open LOL

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Diablo, sorry it took so long to reply, we took a short vacation then i had to go out of town for work.

those pics are two years old now so she looks a little better now. The bilge vents are in little recesses under the rear edge of the sunpad. Aesthetically, they are unobtrusive, but they act like water scoops when we come off plane. It requires a little creativity to keep the water out. Oh well, that is pretty minor concidering the condition of the boat and the price I paid for the it.

180Diablo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No worries man, I had totally forgot I had an account setup on this webpage anyways :).

If you check back on the links, I have updated some more pics of me cleaning up my boat from last weekend. Page 3 and 4 have the updated pics.

Im hoping to get up this weekend and finish cleaning it. Interior is cleaned, exterior is washed. Needs some 3M Finnesse, Meguiars Flagship, a vaccum and and think thats about it. Seats have been cleaned and protected by some Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber Condition. I have a few issues that I want my mechanic to take a look at. There is a fuel smell coming from the floor ski locker and from chatting to others, it may be a normal condtion of the tank seeping out some fumes, but it could also be a leak. So I will have that looked at before it sees water again.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

That fuel smell (it shouldn't be too strong) is the nature of the beast with carb'd engines. That is why it is so important to run the bilge blower before starting the engine.

That being said, with "new to you" boat it is better to be safe and make sure you don't have any leaks - they could mean disaster if uncorrected.

180Diablo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Time to rehash my old post ... lol..

After using the boat for the 2nd weekend that fuel smell in the locker is no longer there. So I guess it was just because it was "cooped up" for too long in storage.

Ski locker is still a mess however, damp and sandy, but im slowly cleaning it up. :)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The cleaning never ends. Neither does the repair work, I got my first seat puncture over Memorial Day weekend, and it's on a lower edge, how it got poked I may never know, but it did. Guess it's time to sell it :D

180Diablo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

haha yeah I know about the cleaning. I think I have cleaned the boat more then used it so far.

Both of my rear jump seats by the engine have minor tears in them. The material is separated, but the seams are still holding.

I found my first wood rot last weekend. Its near the ski locker, on the floor, where the main area meets the bow portion. There is a guard that was hiding the rot, so I just removed it and left it to air for the week. I need to anchor my boat out in the sun and leave it wide open.

This weekend I will probably get my scrubber out and try and clean up the bottom to get any slime off.

vicsem

Recruit

Hey there!
I got 1993 Diablo too...mine is 4.3L V6 Alpha one. But other than that it is pretty much the same. Even color is the same outside and inside...
I got it with "freeze" damage to the engine. So ended up rebuilding another engine and pretty much restoring to original specs whole boat... i will post some pictures when better weather will be in our area. Boat still in storage area and i moved it when i do small improvments to it or repairs.:cool:

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Hey, welcome to iboats!

You'll find that the manufacturer forums tend to be a little slow, but there is a wealth of information available in some of the general forums and especially the i/o forum.