how much weight i can put on a mako 19?

hi guys I have a 1972 mako 19' with JOHNSON J88MSLCER 88hp and i wanna change it to 150 hp JOHNSON but my concern is the 150hp is really big and is 485 lb, I dont know huw much weight i can put on the transom?

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: how much weight i can put on a mako 19?

hi guys I have a 1972 mako 19' with JOHNSON J88MSLCER 88hp and i wanna change it to 150 hp JOHNSON but my concern is the 150hp is really big and is 485 lb, I dont know huw much weight i can put on the transom?

Carlos, welcome, The 19 ft mako if it has not been restored, probably is pretty low in the stern as it sits. Most older makos were foam filled and hold lots of water weight. Adding a heavier motor can only make the stern ride lower than it already is, and with a somewhat low transom to start with, this can be a problem. I had a 19 mako with a 120 johnson and it was more than enough hp for the boat but even that motor was to heavy for the boat.

I suggest, if you want more opinions, check out Classicmako.com , there are many guys there with the same set-up/boat. Also if you go to rebuild the boat in anyway, those guys will know exactly everything that is in your boat,how it was made,history, everything. Good luck