need some help here on an old lund im looking to purchase - S-18 Big Resorter 78

daveshady

Seaman
1978 18' lund only photo I have so far. 40hp motor whats a fair price do you think.
I assume its an utility. said the middle seats were removed. Just looking for a good
solid boat for fishing and hunting from.

18ft-lund_5drtz.jpg

Im waiting on photos of the inside yet, trailer has new axel. looks like not in the BEST
cosmetic conditon but that doesnt matter to me. ANY HELP or ideas would be
appreciated greatly.

Last edited:

daveshady

Seaman
Re: need some help here on an old lund im looking to purchase

Photo of the interior sent from current owner... been heavily modified ill assume

they are asking 2500 all perty ruff opnions appreciated.

180047_1813369783694_1523539454_1924439_2048619_n.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Lunds tend to go for a little more than others, that's a great motor and probably little larger than average, fishing boats like that are always in demand. $2k is a fair price. (your area also factors in the price but we don't know that)

daveshady

Seaman

Lunds tend to go for a little more than others, that's a great motor and probably little larger than average, fishing boats like that are always in demand. $2k is a fair price. (your area also factors in the price but we don't know that)

Iowa guess I should update my profile a bit. Appreciate the input. Is that a PIKE modle or just a utility.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Iowa guess I should update my profile a bit. Appreciate the input. Is that a PIKE modle or just a utility.

If I'm not mistaken the Pike model had a side console...that may have been removed from that one.

Looks like a decent boat, the interior is a good layout for fishing. I'd want to check the rivets and make sure she's in good shape for that money. Probably can talk him down a bit from $2500.

fishrdan

Admiral

I would be concerned with how much weight was added with all the modifications, did they use a dozen 2x4's and several sheets of 3/4 plywood??? A sheet of 3/4 ply is about 75#... The extra weight will take away from the boat's max weight capacity and can affect the outboard's performance. Boat performance is relative to it's power and weight. My heavy 18' dual console has a 140HP I/O, yet my 14' jon boat only has 7.5HP. Both perform well as their HP/Weight ratio is good. Put too much weight in either and they are a dog.

The modifications made to that boat could actually decrease it's value. They have taken away some of the boats structure (middle seat(s) and replaced it with? It really depends on how they modified the boat. A bunch of unsealed pine, banged together with non-stainless fasteners, covered with Lowes/Home Depot carpet will rot out in a couple years, 4-5 at best. It really depends on how they did it, could be a hack job that will fall apart in short order, or a quality job that will last for years to come. I would look for:

1- sealed wood (#1 epoxy/poly resin, #2 polyurethane or an oil based paint, #3 latex paint)
2- type of wood used (1/2" or less plywood and limited use of solid lumber, 2x4's and 3/4 plywood add a lot of weight, small 1x1 or 2x2 strips are good for reduced weight, aluminum angles better)
3- fasteners (good = stainless steel or brass. bad = zinc plated steel. look for rusty fasteners.)

I would insist on a lake trial, not only to see if the outboard runs and the boat does not leak, but if the modifications (weight) affect the boat's performance. Take it out with a couple people on board, loaded up like you would normally have. A couple sand bags can be used to simulate passenger weight.

Oh yeah, if you see any pressure treated "green" wood RUN! The chemicals in PT wood will eat aluminum.

daveshady

Seaman

yes on the 3/4 all treated lumber plywood floor and gun boxes. the boat is 3 hours west of me so I cant see it without the trip out. If i did buy I would rip all the wood and carpet out for sure. It was put in the boat last year i guess. duno im havin a ruff time finding that 18' v-bow around here being a river community for fishing and open water hunting from. the search continues.

fishrdan

Admiral

On the treated lumber/plywood... There are 2 types of treating, CCA and AQC. The type used by boat manufacturers is yellowish/orange in color and safe for aluminum, CCA. The type available at local lumber yards is green in color and very corrosive to aluminum, AQC. I highly doubt the seller took the time to source CCA treated plywood as it's hard to find and expensive,,, but you never know... Ask them what color the wood is, yellowish/orange or green.

Since they modded that boat with 3/4 plywood they probably added 200-300# of weight, I wouldn't be surprised at 300-400# once you factor in carpet, 2x4's, etc, etc. This might be the reason they are getting rid of a recenlty modified boat, they ruined it's performance.

daveshady

Seaman

ITs green treated for sure, last time I did a floor I ordered marine grade for it def more $$$$ but it was RIGHT! I offered 2K flat and still have not heard a peep back, maybe just not meant to be its still an old hull and I have found others 16-17' range ava but I sure like the 18' and deep boat is much better. I will keep on my search for the one that I can make work. When using for open water diver hunting and fishing it has to be a lil overkill for the hunting part. Dont like to be on the pool of the river late fall in a shallow side boat. the river where we hunt is 2-3 miles wide behind the damn and can get rough.

FarmallM

Seaman Apprentice

I bought an 18' Lund ProV w/ 120 Johnson and rotten deck last November for $1500. Deck, carpet, bilge & livewell pumps, hardware added another $600.

Purchased in Fort Madison, Iowa.

daveshady

Seaman

well i got the boat and have started ripping out all the wooden floor and home made rod lockers ect. still trying to ID the modle.
trans says RHINO-TUFF ser# LUNG1107M78C ---- I have lots of work to do for sure to make it to the boat I want it to be.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats! Make sure you post in the resto section or one of the other more general areas of the forum for any of your non-Lund specific questions/topics. Not much traffic down here.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Should be a nice hull. These old Lunds last forever. Give Lund a call, they helped me with mine after I bought it and the CAP sticker was all faded. The lady I spoke with was very pleasant and provided all the info I needed. Year, model, capacities and dry weight, was even able to tell me that my boat did come with the console even though I hadn't mentioned it.

daveshady

Seaman

Thanks much for the tip on callin lund. I have been rippin out alot of OLD wood lord there was an oak hunk of wook under the fornt "deck area the modified that was 3" thick 8" tall and 4 feet long cut on the radius of the front end..... WOW I can now pick up
the tounge of the trailer with one hand lol.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

So I'm curious as to whether your boat has bulkheads desgined to support a deck or if it is just ribbed?

Amazing whay some people come up with.

daveshady

Seaman

The boat is just has ribs on the bottom and over the years someone cut out the center seat. When i got the rig 2 weeks ago it had a 3/4" plywood floor with a 2x4 under cut like a wedge to support it. they rivited tabs along the 8 feet of center area our of aluminum angle and used the right rivits then attached a 3/4" plywood rod lockers to each side of the boat.

The front was 2 layers of 3/4" plywood cut to the shape of the bow the very front small seat was removed and some brackets were again rivited to the sides under the floor down low was an oak almost 3" thick x 8" tall cut on the radius of the front end. on top of that they had built another compartment that was the height of the old seat that had the largest 2" wide steel strap hinge to make a compartment for a trolling motor battery. Needless to say this was a HEAVY HEAVY section of wood.

The rear they cut out the front of the seat and left the rear support to be the new front and decked that in 3/4" plywood and had a hatch to access the battery and
the gas tank. They butchered it perty well under all that plywood with not much thought. Now what they did was STURDY but after I have removed it all it FILLED the
back of my Dodge Ram Pickup to the dump.......

How it bought it
183129_1822740977968_1523539454_1939079_3552704_n.jpg

Hundreds of pounds of wood removed

183732_1822666016094_1523539454_1939004_5160284_n.jpg

Where I am going from here.

I have removed all the wood and rebuilt the back how I want it out of aluminum stock. This will all be welded in and then reinforced and then decked in 1/8" alum sheet.

190503_1840268896155_1523539454_1965452_3597942_n.jpg

185891_1840259815928_1523539454_1965441_7451671_n.jpg

The main 8 foot open floor will have 1 1/2 square tube for a floor support structure, that will be 12" on centers and will have 2-3 of the ribs bent to come up the sidewall to re-enforce the sides of the boat from where the seat was removed. That will also be decked in 1/8" aluminum with foam sheets underneath. This should stiffen up the boat perty good.

190503_1840268776152_1523539454_1965449_2341323_n.jpg

The front will be framed up in square tube and angle to make a full front deck the same height as the seat about. They will weld in a battery compartment for the front motor as well. They are going to weld all holes in the transom from the yeats of transducers being screwed to it as well as all holes in the sides from old bolts and stuff. The front bottom of the boat where there was some wear to the alum strip to protect the bow from rocks and ice will be fixed a bit as it is a bit worn from wear.

I have found a good fabracation shop that does this kind of work often and comes highly recomended. Lots of work to be done. I have done as much as my skills and tools allows me to do. Monday I drop it off at the fab shop and let them have at it. They are also going to bend and make a motor mount for the Minnkota I piolt motor for the bow.

This boat will be fished out of and Diver Duck hunted in the fall so I want it sturdy and simple. I think it will handle the open water well and we will get some good use out of it. I will add more pics as we go. What a mess it was so far lol.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Nice job Dave! Looks like it's coming along nicely. I'm thinkin that hull might have been an Alasken.

daveshady

Seaman

I sent the HULL Id to lund friday night see what they say. Looking forward to getting
the aluminum custom work done and then onto paint :)

fishrdan

Admiral

I have removed it all it FILLED the
back of my Dodge Ram Pickup to the dump.......

Whooooa! You have to weigh all that wood before you haul it to the dump, you just have to! Grab the bathroom scale and tally up the total, see how much you removed.

daveshady

Seaman

Lol I wish I would of, I figure equal to 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. a 2x8x48" OAK then the 3/16" thick 2" wie strap hinges lol. It was a bunch for sure. Had a hard time lifting the tougnge of the trailer no one hand NO PROBLEM!