Mounting Bimini tops

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1475 Lund coming, the wife would like a top. Is it ok to mount to
the thin rail?

cooterdude

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mounting Bimini tops

have you seen the size of lund o.e. tops there huge should be fine to mount a small Bimini top to make sure to put it down for trailing tho and get one with a zip on cover to keep the dirt wasps out of it :cool:

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You?ll be fine mounting a Bimini top to the gunwale. It?ll have the center mounting/pivot point and 4 strap down hooks to mount. I have a WC16 with an 8? Bimini and use it a lot. If you need shade or rain cover, it?s about a one minute operation to get the protection you need.

A note about mounting it: Prior to mounting, see where you want it open and where you want it closed. When I mounted mine, I put it on 32? slide rails. I?m able to lower/slide it in front of the front bench seat. Then, when I need it up, I slide it back and put it up. Once up, it protects the rear and middle seats in my boat.

I?d say a Bimini top is a must have item for an open boat like that.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it hard to mount the bimini top ?

No. Bimini?s are probably one of the easier accessories to install. It does take 2 people though. The trick is figuring out where you want it to cover. It?s that rule of measure twice, cut once.

The top connects to a pivot point on either side of the boat. Those pivot points screw into the gunwale with 2 screws each. Or, if you?re using the sliders, then you?ll mount the slide rail to the gunwale with 4 screws each. Once those are set, have someone hold the top up in it?s set position then figure out where your strap eyelets need to be. You?ll have one for each corner of the top.

The Bimini on my set up covers the rear 8? of the boat. The strap connections are set on the very rear of the gunwales and then about 5 feet in front of the pivot point.

All in all, it?s basically a drill and screw installation.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clarkbre,

Where did you get your slide tracks? I seen them on the internet somewhere
but can't find them now. (I found them).

Thanks
Don