Considering Lund SSV-16

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was going to go with Sylvan,but I have changed my mind. Now considering staying with Lund instead.
Would like to know what your opinions are of the Lund
SSV models,and if you would recommend them. I had
an A-14 Lund before but want to move up to the SSV-16.

TechMike

Recruit
Re: Considering Lund SSV-16

I wouldn't trade my Lund 16 for any other aluminum boat in this class.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I can't respond directly regarding that particular boat, but I did shop Sylvan and others before deciding to order a Lund Fisherman. The Sylvan had lots of what I would call little "trick" features that might appeal to the eyes, and it cost less, but the Lund is of much better quality and construction. The Lund's hull design is also better. Oh, yeah, and then there's the difference in warranties. It comes down to getting what you pay for, I guess.

What the Sylvan had going for it was that it could be powered by something other than Mercury. As you know, Lund is owned by Brunswick which also owns Mercury. You can get a Honda on a Lund as an option, but I think you need to find a Lund dealer who also sells Honda. Our Lund dealer sold Merc and Yamaha, but not Honda. For us it was no big deal, so we just accepted the Merc.

What size motor are you going to put on the boat? Will it be new? Not sure how much you want to spend, but if you want a wider and deeper 16fter, with pedastal seats and livewell, check out the 1625 Classic. I would not put anything less than a 30hp on the classic though. Junky..............

Expidia

Commander

I agree with everything that was said. Whatever the extra cost over other aluminums . . go for it . . . you will get back most of the difference in resale anyway.

Also, as the other poster said . . . put the max HP on it. I underpowered and had to swap it for the max hp a few weeks later. Beware of an 2006 Merc an earlier if the dealer still has a new one stock because the Merc's got lighter in 2007.

I personally bought a Merc since it was the lightest in it's 4 stroke class even though my dealer also sold Yamaha.

With the SSV model (if that's a tiller) motor weight is more of an issue from my experience with previous tillers, since all the extra weight is in the stern of the boat IE motor, gas tank, driver etc . . . hp is rated max 40 and a 30 is going to make you very unhappy, this I guarantee. And more dangerous too with the 30, because the bow is going to block your view until you get it up on plane from my experience.

In all due respect, a 30 hp (w/pt&t) properly installed on the transom, hieght wise, and a good stainless prop (like the turbo hotshot) with the right pitch, will be enough for these boats if you know how to properly distribute the wieght in the boat. A 16ft will get on plane better than the 14ft, all factors equal. A console SHOULD get on plane faster than a tiller. A tiller SHOULD be slightly faster once on plane. Again, all factors equal. A heavier motor SHOULD help you with a console, to help keep your prop from blowing out. But again, it has to be set up right. The secret is to have your load distributed right in each applications. These fishing rigs, aren't designed to be loaded down with a bunch of people site seeing for the day. Hence the livewell over the cooler. We are talking 25-40hp motors, not the big boy motors. I don't mean to sound like a know it all. I've dealt with these types of boats for many years and have experimented with many a 14-16 fters in the fishing line of boats. Even when rigged right, motor and wieght distribution, your not going to set any out of the hole or speed records. You just have to be statisfied with the performance of the size HP you have on the back. With these small motors, one person, or a loaded down cooler in the boat, WILL effect the performance, one way or the other. Of coarse, this is just my opinion, thanks for listning. :redface: Junky.........
By the way, I have a 2006 1625 Classic with a 30HP Honda w/pt&t tiller

Expidia

Commander

You mention the word "satisfied". I found for the 13k I spent with the 30 2006 Merc it was awful on my side console model. It was ELPT and it still took 50 plus yards to get up on plane with just me and another passenger onboard.

This is why I say at least with my experience of 100 plus hours with this boat for the extra $500 it cost me to upgrade to the 40 hp it was like night and day. Jumped up on plane in 10 secs! And made the whole rig not only safer but all around more enjoyable.

I don't have to seat passengers in particular positions anymore or move my gas tank or trolling battery forward to distribute the weight.

If one is buying a new rig my experience is don't underpower it by trying to save a few bucks like I did the first time.

10 hp's doesn't seem like much, but it's the difference between being "just satisfied" and really having the rig perform like it should.

I was told this by others before I bought to always go with the max the boat will take and of course I didn't listen. I was lucky that the dealer was great in doing the swap for me, but it took a month for the 40 to come in and I had to pay the freight again. At least he let me still use the 30 while I waited for delivery.

If the poster is talking a 2 stroke, than they could probably get away with a 30 hp due to how much lighter it is over a 4 stroke. But my personal tastes lean towards only buying 4 strokes.

The new aluminum rig I'm in the market for has a 200 max and that's what it will have on it ASAP even though many say the 150 does just fine. The 200 Merc is the same weight as their 150!

It's obvious to me that you are looking for a cruiser, not a fishing boat which you have. I wish the best of luck to you with your next purchase. If you are looking for advice to tweek your current boat, let me know, I would be happy to help. Good luck, Junky................

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What size motor are you going to put on the boat? Will it be new? Not sure how much you want to spend, but if you want a wider and deeper 16fter, with pedestal seats and live well, check out the 1625 Classic. I would not put anything less than a 30hp on the classic though. Junky..............

My Lund dealer informed me that the Classic line is being eliminated in May, 2008. Too bad; those are nice boats at a pretty good price.

Hmmm, maybe a good deal can be had on left overs...

My Lund dealer informed me that the Classic line is being eliminated in May, 2008. Too bad; those are nice boats at a pretty good price.

Hmmm, maybe a good deal can be had on left overs...

That suprises me. I think the classic is a nice boat at a decent price. Oh well.

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Considering my budget is a bit tighter,it will not allow the SSV-16. But I still
appreciate your input. Having said that,I am going to go back to the A-14 I
used to have before,...alot more affordable for me. Considering Yamaha for
power(15 hp Yamaha four stroke manual rope start just to keep things simple). Would you know that I was banned from a fishing website here
in Indiana because myself and another member had a disagreement over a boat issue. Seeing as how I had Lund(and wanting another one just like what
I had before),I knew how well Lunds are built. He has a Bass Tracker,which
he claimed can outlast a Lund and could get into places I could only dream of taking a Lund. I shot back and told him "No way!" I won't go into the bigger details,but I felt he was not being honest. Lunds are so well built and are far
more superior to Bass Tracker. He did not like being told that. Man,banned from a fishing website over a boat issue. I was trying to be nice about it and
let him know that I do my homework and I comparison shop ALOT. As far as
utility-v bottom boats go,I have NOT found anything that can match Lund's
quaility. This guy knew good and well where I stood,but he just kept making
claims that I felt had no merit when it came to comparing Bass Tracker to Lund. There is no comparison between the two when it comes to aluminum
fishing boats anyway,...and Lund stands heads above all of them. I just had
to tell you all that,...it was a spur of the moment thing.

DOBERMAN_UA

Cadet

In all due respect, a 30 hp (w/pt&t) properly installed on the transom, hieght wise, and a good stainless prop (like the turbo hotshot) with the right pitch, will be enough for these boats if you know how to properly distribute the wieght in the boat. A 16ft will get on plane better than the 14ft, all factors equal. A console SHOULD get on plane faster than a tiller. A tiller SHOULD be slightly faster once on plane. Again, all factors equal. A heavier motor SHOULD help you with a console, to help keep your prop from blowing out. But again, it has to be set up right. The secret is to have your load distributed right in each applications. These fishing rigs, aren't designed to be loaded down with a bunch of people site seeing for the day. Hence the livewell over the cooler. We are talking 25-40hp motors, not the big boy motors. I don't mean to sound like a know it all. I've dealt with these types of boats for many years and have experimented with many a 14-16 fters in the fishing line of boats. Even when rigged right, motor and wieght distribution, your not going to set any out of the hole or speed records. You just have to be statisfied with the performance of the size HP you have on the back. With these small motors, one person, or a loaded down cooler in the boat, WILL effect the performance, one way or the other. Of coarse, this is just my opinion, thanks for listning. :redface: Junky.........
By the way, I have a 2006 1625 Classic with a 30HP Honda w/pt&t tiller
hello,
could you tell me what is the best outbourd(hp/weght ratio) for ssv-14? I'm considering of 40 hp 4 str mercury
thanks in advanced

Expidia

Commander

It's very simple. Always go with the max HP rating of the rig. If you can afford it. You will NEVER be disappointed. You can get away with 75% of the max HP if you are on a tight budget but it's really a pain having to move people around in the boat just so you can get it up on plane. It's actually dangerous when I had to leave the steering wheel and take a few steps out towards the bow just to get my first 30 HP (brand new Merc 4 stroke) on my 14.9 up on plane. The new 40 HP pops it up on plane in 2 feet now. Nothing is worse than taking like 400 feet to get the rig up on plane and then some yahoo in another boat cuts in front of you and then you get to do it all over again :(.

Also, these small boats are really a pain as soon as you put a 3rd or 4th passenger on board. And the extra weight makes boating more dangerous when it 's underpowered. HP's usually average about $1000 for every 10 HP's you move up. But if you shop around you can easily cut that in half (I did ).

You won't read many "I'm unhappy with my rig cause it has just the right power" threads here. You mostly just see threads where some boat salesman in order to close a deal sells underpowered rigs to people that don't know any better and get caught up with having to bring home their shiny new rig.

You can tweak an underpowered rig but for the extra 2 mph on the top speed for all the time and effort it would have been smarter to just go with the max on these smaller rigs (been there, done that already).

Probably, on rigs 18 feet and up one can go with the 75% of the max. But a lot is dependant on the hull style and weight of the outboard (2 stroke vs 4 stroke).

Lunds have a certain hull design that makes them feel like you are in a larger rig. But the trade off is they need more HP's to get them onto plane than say an Alumacraft style.

When it comes to boating and safety if one has to cut corners than they should think twice about getting into boating in the first place . . . It ain't a cheap sport no matter how you slice it :D

DOBERMAN_UA

Cadet

It's very simple. Always go with the max HP rating of the rig. If you can afford it. You will NEVER be disappointed. You can get away with 75% of the max HP if you are on a tight budget but it's really a pain having to move people around in the boat just so you can get it up on plane. It's actually dangerous when I had to leave the steering wheel and take a few steps out towards the bow just to get my first 30 HP (brand new Merc 4 stroke) on my 14.9 up on plane. The new 40 HP pops it up on plane in 2 feet now. Nothing is worse than taking like 400 feet to get the rig up on plane and then some yahoo in another boat cuts in front of you and then you get to do it all over again :(.

Also, these small boats are really a pain as soon as you put a 3rd or 4th passenger on board. And the extra weight makes boating more dangerous when it 's underpowered. HP's usually average about $1000 for every 10 HP's you move up. But if you shop around you can easily cut that in half (I did ).

You won't read many "I'm unhappy with my rig cause it has just the right power" threads here. You mostly just see threads where some boat salesman in order to close a deal sells underpowered rigs to people that don't know any better and get caught up with having to bring home their shiny new rig.

You can tweak an underpowered rig but for the extra 2 mph on the top speed for all the time and effort it would have been smarter to just go with the max on these smaller rigs (been there, done that already).

Probably, on rigs 18 feet and up one can go with the 75% of the max. But a lot is dependant on the hull style and weight of the outboard (2 stroke vs 4 stroke).

Lunds have a certain hull design that makes them feel like you are in a larger rig. But the trade off is they need more HP's to get them onto plane than say an Alumacraft style.

When it comes to boating and safety if one has to cut corners than they should think twice about getting into boating in the first place . . . It ain't a cheap sport no matter how you slice it :D

Thanks for info,
the problem is that ssv 14 rated for 35 hp, and I want 40 hp on board, whould it be an issue?

Expidia

Commander

Yes it would. Sometimes boaters will try and skirt around maximum boat ratings by changing the decals on the cowling. It's a really dumb idea because if you ever got into an accident even if another boater caused the accident, you could still be sued for big bucks especially if someone died!

Maximum ratings are there for a reason. The manufacture wants to allow the boater maximum enjoyment from the boat and has drawn the line through rigorous testing as to what is the maximum allowable HP would be for each rig they sell.

Even an extra 5 HP as small as it seems could get you into trouble depending on the hull design. Call your local Sheriff and ask them what the fine would be if they gave you a ticket for overpowering a rig?

When I bought my last rig new in 2007 I noticed they lowered the max HP to 35 for the same model for some later years. This was because the 4 stroke outboards got lighter. There was a 30 lb difference between the 2006 merc 30 HP 4 stroke and the 2007 40 HP 4 stroke. The 40 was actually 30 lbs lighter then the 30. I feel even mine is overpowered at 40 HP. That's why it pops onto plane in 2 feet with 2 of us. I could see where a new boater could get into trouble with my rig cause most boaters love running boats at wide open.

DOBERMAN_UA

Cadet

Yes it would. Sometimes boaters will try and skirt around maximum boat ratings by changing the decals on the cowling. It's a really dumb idea because if you ever got into an accident even if another boater caused the accident, you could still be sued for big bucks especially if someone died!

Maximum ratings are there for a reason. The manufacture wants to allow the boater maximum enjoyment from the boat and has drawn the line through rigorous testing as to what is the maximum allowable HP would be for each rig they sell.

Even an extra 5 HP as small as it seems could get you into trouble depending on the hull design. Call your local Sheriff and ask them what the fine would be if they gave you a ticket for overpowering a rig?

When I bought my last rig new in 2007 I noticed they lowered the max HP to 35 for the same model for some later years. This was because the 4 stroke outboards got lighter. There was a 30 lb difference between the 2006 merc 30 HP 4 stroke and the 2007 40 HP 4 stroke. The 40 was actually 30 lbs lighter then the 30. I feel even mine is overpowered at 40 HP. That's why it pops onto plane in 2 feet with 2 of us. I could see where a new boater could get into trouble with my rig cause most boaters love running boats at wide open.

so, as far as I understand 40 hp on ssv-14 whould be ok