Fisherman 1800 Transom

TNJohn1951

Recruit
Hey Folks
I purchased a gently used 2004 Fisherman 1800 a few years ago. The boat has been garage kept and on the lift while on the lake. Last year I noticed the screws were loose on the port side of teh

he transom top trim, I also found a wood fungus growing out of the transom top in that area, it looks as though the transom core is rotten and will have to be replaced. Quite disappointed as I thought better of Lunde. I will inquire as to whether or not Lunde covers this as a warranty issue. Looking at similiar posts it seems this is an issue. Can't figure out why they would use wood instead of a resin composite in this application.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its all about the money. A piece of rot resistant wood (not rot proof) is normally all that is needed to get the boat thru its design life.

when on the lift, do you have a cover on it keeping moisture in the boat? or is there a canopy on the lift which would allow the boat to breath and dry out?

gus004

Recruit
Good Luck. I had the same problem with my 2005 after 7 years. Transom is warrantied for 10 years pro rated, meaning Lund paid 30% and I was responsible for 70%. I fought it and got Lund to cover 50% at least. I also stored mine indoors at all times and opened all access doors after every use prior to it rotting. It was an engineering decision to change the design and not seal the transom cap (I think 2003-2007). They figured any water would drain straight through to bilge, not expecting the 100+ rivots and screws/bolts pinching it together would stop it. They did finally change the design again and seal that cap. Good luck with yours, it is not cheap to have a dealer do the repair.