1 year Plus old fuel

rebmo

Seaman
Last Season I had some family issues that put a damper on using our 2006 Lund Explorer Sport. I stored the boat with fuel preservative in the garage and it has not been run for 1.5years. I'd like to drain the fuel and use it for the tractor and fill with fresh fuel for next season. Any suggestions on easiest way to drain the fuel or should I just use it? Thanks

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat is elevated, lending itself for easy siphoning... You should be able to raise the front of your trailer as high as possible, and empty the tank via fuel line or siphoning through the filler hose. Make sure that gas doesn't smell spoiled before ya fill your tractor up.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How much gas is in the boat and is it E10 or non-ethanol gas?

Since it was treated, a fill up with fresh gas might work OK. Also add some fresh gas to the tractor along with the old stuff if you drain the boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Like stated above. If it doesn't smell like gas, don't use it...period! JMHO!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
After 1.5 years, pretty sure your going to be siphoning out bad fuel and refilling

rebmo

Seaman
The gas in the tank is 10% ethanol crap. It's been treated twice with Merc fuel treatment but I'm very hesitant to run this fuel and gunk the injectors and who knows what other issues. I'm going to look over the fuel line near the OB hookup and see if I can put a hose extension on from there and siphon it out. I do have a high quality siphon also which might be easier just to stuff down the fill tube. I have a bunch of 6 gallon tanks that I can fill (I'll need 4-5).
I did fire up the motor and it started fine about 5 months ago which would be a little over a year on the fuel age, but don't like the thought of running that gas.

I will check the smell and mix 50/50 if it smells ok and burns ok. The good news is that gas is relatively cheap and If I get it filled it won't be so painful. Next season if all goes well I'll be turning over the gas in the tank a few times so end of season treated it should be fine. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check back in in a few months when it warms up and I get it drained.

rebmo

Seaman
BTW, I ended up hooking a siphon pump up to the fuel hose disconnected from the motor (floor tank to 115hp 4-stroke EFI not bulb) and I pumped out the fuel. took a while. Would not siphon. tried the fuel inlet and the siphon hose would not go to the bottom of the tank. Fuel ran fine but don't like older fuel and there was some mix of 10% ethanol fuel. I pumped it into 6 gallon cans and mixed with tractor fuel with no issues.