Lowe Roughneck?

mays

Cadet
I have been dreaming about a new boat and I like the look of the Lowe Roughneck 1652 all-welded john boat. If anyone has any experience withthis line of boats I would like to hear what you think. Also can anyone tell me how the mod-vee hull 6 degrees will ride in choppy water, versus a deep v type hull. Thanks to everyone.

mercury_40hp

Cadet
Re: Lowe Roughneck?

I bought a 2004 R1960MT and really like it alot.<br />It's so sturdy it's rated for a 105hp motor which is huge on a bare bones jon boat that has a built in aluminum floor/sides but nothing else.<br />Overall the construction appears to be very good, the welds look good and the extruded rails come in handy for mounting things like cleats and cup holders. The modified bow is superior to the old flatbottom I had as far as ride quality. I can't compare it to a deep V hull as I don't have one, but since the bottom is still fairly flat on the 1960, I doubt it would ride quite as smooth as a deep V hull though.<br />I bought the boat for fishing shallow water so ride quality wasn't one of my big concerns.<br /><br />If I was being EXTEMELY picky there were only a couple of minor flaws I have found;<br />1)There was a small few square inch area near the bow rope hook on the outside of the boat where the painter had missed.<br />2) One of the rivets was misaligned and missed hitting the rib, therefore the aluminum side panel was not being held down tight in that area. (I fixed this easily myself).<br />That said, it has been a great boat and I would not hesitate to buy another one.<br />Lowe has been making fishing boats for generations and have a good reputation. My father in law has a Lowe 1860 riveted that is also holding up great. We use them on the Mississippi so they see some rough water at times.

mays

Cadet

Mercury, <br />What hp motor did you put on your boat? Just curious.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I own an Xpress Mod V hull jon(22') with a 90HP evinrude.<br /><br />But I will tell you on the 5500 acre lake we have here that when there are a lot of boats and the water gets pretty choppy it can be a rough wet ride.<br /><br />If you really want a smooth ride I would get a deep V.<br /><br />That being said I wouldn't trade my jon for a deep v for anything in the world. It's just too functional for fishing.

mercury_40hp

Cadet

Clamdigger,<br /><br />I had to take the 1998 40hp Merc that was on my old jon boat and put it on the new R1960MT because of budget limitations, but it actually moves the new boat surprisingly well. <br />A new 60-75hp will be going on it as soon as the budget allows however.......$$$$$$<br />I agree with vranasaurus, these boats are functional for about anything. I have even water ski'd behind jon boats no problem.

Javelin94

Recruit

I own a 1652 and I love it. It is a very sturdy boat and is well made. It is large enough that you can get up and move around without feeling unstable yet small enough to go almost anywhere. I have a 9.9 Johnson which will push it to about 17 MPH. I have added a floor over the ribs,sides over the ribs, front and rear bass type seats, a built in livewell, rod storage and carpet. I have had it in 3 to 4 foot waves and have felt very safe. it is not the smoothest riding boat made but for fishing I would not trade it. If you get one you will not be sorry.

hooterville

Seaman

hey im thinking about a roughneck 1860 and i have a 48 hp Johnson . what size does your fatherinlaw have on his boat????

Lt Duffman

Recruit

Anyone know anything about the new R1655sc? I been looking at them, i just dont know anything about them. I have a thread posted asking for info. I was wondering if a 25hp motor would suffice for the 16footer with me and one other guy. any and all info appreciated.

Attachments

• low roughneck.png
    low roughneck.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 0

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I know it dosn't get much traffic here, but I just bought an unused/used roughneck 1756cc, with a 50 Merc two stroke, its got the
10 3/8"X 14 pitch prop on it from the dealer and am wondering if anyone else has experience with a similar setup, rpms etc.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I know it dosn't get much traffic here, but I just bought an unused/used roughneck 1756cc, with a 50 Merc two stroke, its got the
10 3/8"X 14 pitch prop on it from the dealer and am wondering if anyone else has experience with a similar setup, rpms etc.

Thats what prop come on my FM165 with 50 2 stroke,,I changed out to a
10 5/8 12pitch,,way more dig out of the hole. With 4 people & all gear 30MPH and I'm satisfied.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, what rpms does that turn at wot with that load?

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, thats the info I needed. I am going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 13" pitch four blade stainless, I think that should be just about perfect.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, thats the info I needed. I am going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 13" pitch four blade stainless, I think that should be just about perfect.

That's funny you mention a 4 blade 13P,,,I ran a 4 blade 12P on my last boat. It was a 14' Fisher with a 50 Yamy & it ran 34mph(no tach) & had a heck of a hole shot. The prop was on there when I bought it..

My old boat,,,
boat.jpg

ecibis

Recruit

Does a minn kota endura 55 push around a 16' roughneck well? i have a lot of local ponds that only allow electric motors. i am debating between a 14' or 16' roughneck...thanks, ed

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

It depends on the load and how far and fast you want to go. I fish some all electric lakes also and its pretty difficult with a 14' Jon boat and one 55# trolling motor, its not so much moving it as controlling it. If the wind comes up and I am at the far end of the lake, it can be hard to get back to the ramp and a gusty crosswind will have you spinning like a top. Now I have the 55 on the bow and a 40# on the transom, if I had it to do over they would both be 55's OR as many of the guys do that are serious about fishing the all electric lakes, I'd have the 55 on the bow and TWO 55's on the transom.

nam6869usmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put a MK Endura 34# on the transom as a spare, just to get me off the lake if my Bow mounted MK Fortrex 80# fails. A couple weeks ago my Son & I went up state Pa. to fish Stevensons Dam (Sinnemahoning), while loading the boat he stayed in the boat & used the MK 34# to shoot it up on the trailer, well the wind had it's way with him, I know now a 55# would of been much better choice. Get as much Ft Lbs###(power) as you can afford.

Share a few pictures of some beautiful country in Pa////
DSC00705.jpg

Caught a bunch a small to medium but these two below stood out........the FM165 is dream to fish out of.
3 lbs
DSC00731.jpg

4 1/2 lbs
DSC00740.jpg

Yep, a full grown Rattler swiming accross the lake,,scared the hell out of me. He wanted to bit the boat.
snake.jpg

Bobcat,, very thrilling to see,,,
bobcat.jpg

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

"get as much power as you can afford"! Somebody told me that before I bought the 40#, that I put on the transom, I should have listened to him, but I read the "guide" they have at the store. I think those guides are just to get you to buy a smaller motor, knowing you will be back to upgrade!:eek: I have problems getting my 14' jon boat on the trailer also with the 40# when its a strong crosswind.

RangerJ

Cadet

I have been dreaming about a new boat and I like the look of the Lowe Roughneck 1652 all-welded john boat.

I just bought the next size - the Lowe Roughneck 1860 center console - and I wouldn't think my experience was too different than what you could expect.

The first morning I took it out, it was blowing hard and I thought I would see how the boat handled it. The seas were 3-4 feet high and I was impressed that quartering them, it took them as well as the 16' Boston Whaler I usually use. It was perfectly dry, and I had no problem with the hatches opening and slamming shut or the boat rattling as is typical of aluminum boats.

Fairwind, and with the seas directly in back of me, was like surfing. When I had the speed right, it was a great ride, again with no water coming into the boat.

When I rounded the point and the wind had been mostly blocked, I skipped across the 6 inch chop like lightning.

I have a 60 hp 4 stroke Merc and that pushed the boat great, even with about seven hundred pounds of us aboard.

Fit, finish, and overall quality of the boat is great.

All things considered, I am very pleased with the 1860 and would think that the sixteen foot version would give you very close if not exactly the same results.

notactjack

Cadet

I own a 1652 and I love it. It is a very sturdy boat and is well made. It is large enough that you can get up and move around without feeling unstable yet small enough to go almost anywhere. I have a 9.9 Johnson which will push it to about 17 MPH. I have added a floor over the ribs,sides over the ribs, front and rear bass type seats, a built in livewell, rod storage and carpet. I have had it in 3 to 4 foot waves and have felt very safe. it is not the smoothest riding boat made but for fishing I would not trade it. If you get one you will not be sorry.

First off, Yes I know this is an old thread. But if you google lowe roughnecks this is one of the first hits and I want to add some info for someone looking to buy one of these. I purchased a 1652 lowe roughneck with a 15hp merc mainly because this post said he could get on plane with it. I figured 17 is mph would be fine for what I want to do with the boat. Well after getting the boat and tuning as much as I could it would not plane out. I finally forked out the cash and picked up a 65hp Johnson and ill see how that does. Most people replied they wouldn't use this boat with anything less then a 40hp.