1950's Lonestar boat

cchinchak

Cadet
Hello,
I just bought this this 19 1/2 ft Lonestar boat but don't know the year, model name, or what size motor I can put on it. I have a 1974 mercury 115hp that I would like to put on it but dont know if the odd boat transon will handle it and if that is too much motor. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• lonestar.jpg
    lonestar.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 3

Stykbowhntr

Seaman
Re: 1950's Lonestar boat

Great looking boat! I just started my first restoration on a 15' Lonestar. Check out Yahoo Groups. They have a Lonestar group. Good for historical info, but this is the place for restoration help.

dlfmacs

Recruit

Hey Chris, This is a Eldorado model, you can tell the year of manufacture by finding the hull ID plate located on the rear (aft) starboard (right) side of the boat it will be about a 1-1/2"-2" tall and about 4"-5" long plate with a number punched into it, the 1st number in the string is the year of manufacture, IE: "9" equals 1959, "0" equals 1960 so on and so forth, this is a great little boat, the max HP recommended by the manufacture is 80HP. I know people who have larger HP motors on their Eldorado's but make sure the transom can support the weight and is in water worthy condition and handle the stress (torque and twist) of a larger and for that matter any motor you may put on it. Stykbowhntr spoke of a Yahoo group, he is correct, this group in a great place for informations and ideas. Your boat looks to be in good shape, also might be a original trailer but I'm not sure about that, have fun with your boat.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

cool boat Chris- I have a 1957 El Dorado with a 1994 115hp Evinrude- on a modified pontoon boat trl---yours seems to be about the same year with the original LoneStar (crap) trailer.
mine came with a 1964 90hp Evinrude- it was huge. you'll need to replace the cable/pully steering .
as long as the transom is firm you'll be fine.:cool:
I have thouroghly enjoyed the LoneStar the 20 years I have owned it.
Joe

Hi, I am restoring a 55 Admiral 14ft. With some fairly straight forward structural mods and a Detwiler hydro jack plate, (13.5" setback), I am running a cherry '64 Merc 1000 SS with no problems at all. If your boat is pre 1972, there are very few restrictions on horsepower and load capacity. Yeah, thats 100hp on a 14ft aluminum boat. Currently running a brass 2 blade 21p prop, which gives a wicked hole shot, but not enough top end speed. I have a 3 blade Merc Vengence 25p to install for the 2011 season that should be a lot of fun. Keep in mind that these old hulls were never designed to be pushed very fast, and dont handle like a newer step hull or similar. Its easy to get in a "situation" lol Best for straight speed runs, long sweeping turns and such. I got a lot of great advice from the "go-fast" guys at screamandfly.com when I was rigging mine. Joe's advice is right on point: If you plan to run a big hp/torque motor, and your boat has the old cable/winder steering, upgrade to a push\pull rack type setup like Merc. Ride Guide, or Teleflex IMMEDIATELY! The 50's stuff cant handle the torque, and will either break, derail, or fishtail your motor at speed creating some really damp and/or soiled shorts!

dead-head

Recruit

cool boat Chris- I have a 1957 El Dorado with a 1994 115hp Evinrude- on a modified pontoon boat trl---yours seems to be about the same year with the original LoneStar (crap) trailer.
mine came with a 1964 90hp Evinrude- it was huge. you'll need to replace the cable/pully steering .
as long as the transom is firm you'll be fine.:cool:
I have thouroghly enjoyed the LoneStar the 20 years I have owned it.
Joe

This is great news , Thank You. I picked up an El Dorado also, it seems to be a bit newer with the motor mounted right to the transom, not the exterior pod thingy like the one pictured above. I will have to look for that ID plate.

Anyways, I'm curious. I have a V4 Johnson 140 big block for it and I wonder if the transom will handle That , if its in good condition? Can the boat handle it? the brochure I saw for it on-line at fiberglassics rates its HP at 100. I'm not one to push it hard, I like to take it pretty easy, just putt around the lake towing kids on tubes, or else fishing in the big swells offshore.
But, I'm curious about this cool boat I found.

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They write tickets here in North Carolina for exceeding the max HP than what the max reccomended HP that is stated on the plate. They also give tickets for NOT having the BIA plate attached to the boat.