Swim ladder - RUST - on 2008 Larson 180 !

Froeman

Cadet
I have a 2008 Larson 180 that spends most of its time on the trailer. When we boat/swim (using the swim ladder extensively) I notice rust coloured (yes, Canadian spelling of "colored") water aruond the ladder / screws. I was going to remove the ladder, but when I turned the screws, they just rotate and don't seem to "loosen". I assume two things:

1. the screws are rusting (looks that way when I look from the inside)
2. the screws have nuts on the underside.

I'm going to try to spray with rust inhibitor and tackle in the spring.

Any advice for what to do? Remove ladder and replace screws??? Anything else I should be concerned about? Or other tips on removing the ladder?

Thanks
Brad

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Swim ladder - RUST - on 2008 Larson 180 !

Yes, stainless steel rusts . . . big deal.

You probably have what is called 'crevice corrosion' . . . caused by water seepage under the bolts/nuts.

A solution would be to slobber silicon sealant in the bolt holes, etc. and re-fasten, so that no water can reside around the bolts.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

My Larson 186 is 11 years older, and this summer I found exactly the same thing: the screws just spun in place. In my case, the fasteners were actually thru-bolts. On the '97, interior access to the transom is blocked by carpeted plywood panels at the rear of the engine compartment. The panels were wood-screwed to the transom core.

I strongly suggest you take care of this; on my boat, the thru-hull holes led to a rotten transom, and it clearly started at the ladder bolt holes! Hopefully, yours is caught soon enough that there is no rot, but you really need to make sure there is no water intrusion. I didn't see any waterproofing compounds on the bolts; it looks like the water had an easy path into the transom. (Which I am now replacing, along with floatation foam, decking, etc....)

Good luck!

Jim

Froeman

Cadet

Jim, that's exactly what I want to avoid. Thankfully the boat only has 50 hours, and never sat in the lake longer than a few weeks at a time. Always shrink-wrapped in the winter. I've taken a good look, and there is no water in there. My ladder bolts onto the integrated swim platform, so any water would drip into a hollow "cavity" in the boat (i.e. the inside of the swim platform) rather than into the "core" of the transom (if how I'm describing it makes sense). Regardless, your point is taken under advisement. Water is bad, and I'll put a stop to it.

Thanks!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

That's very fortunate! If you have any thru-hull bolts or screws, might still be worth looking at...

Good luck and good for you for catching it early!

Jim