Larson 310 Cabrio - New carpeting in cabin?

ckalupa

Seaman
Where does one go to get newer (updated) carpet installed? Will a regular carpet installer work or are there cabin interior rebuilders that are needed for this? Anyone got a ball-park idea what this costs?

Thanks!

Gulfcoasters

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Larson 310 Cabrio - New carpeting in cabin?

What year? When ours goes, I think will replace it with laminate wood and just use throw rugs. I'm sure you can get an installer to do it for you but it will be pricey as they are paid by the square foot.

ckalupa

Seaman

Finished the booth with the help of some people - here is the pic. Decided not to make a new couch but to use what was there - just updating the look.

Booth.jpg

rpdwyer

Seaman Apprentice

Finished the booth with the help of some people - here is the pic. Decided not to make a new couch but to use what was there - just updating the look.

Hi Ckalupa.

I have the same model year (close... 1997) Cabrio 310 and this winter intend on replacing the carpet with a laminate teak and holly flooring. Can you tell me how difficult to remove was the plastic base for the lounge seat? I see a few screws holding it to the floor... but what else is there?

Thanks,
--Rick

ckalupa

Seaman

That's all there is. There is about 16 total screws located on the inside lower edges (some on pretty strange angles) of the plastic around the edges. Some places those screws are hidden in the carpet but that is it. I used a cordless impact driver and they came right out. You will need to detach the floor light if you boat has one in the seat section. I used the opportunity to replace that fixture with LED lights.

You need to take the top section (seat backs) off if you intend to remove the booth from the cabin completely. The backs are attached with nuts into the base from the inside of the plastic lower - again about 10 places around the base. I will say it is not easy to navigate the big plastic base out of the cabin once you have it off the floor. I never did take that out opting to leave it up on the bed as it just would not seem to fit out the cabin door regardless how I turned it. As you already know it is not all that spacious for flipping that base around down in there. The incredible thing is once you have that base out you will be impressed with all the added real estate in the cabin which is why I looked at making a straight couch in place of the booth. I never did that opting instead to just put the booth back (got lazy) but we never use the booth as such so a couch would have been more than sufficient for us.

I also looked at the laminate holly and teak - should look great - post pics! Easy clean up on the laminate for sure and the boat grade laminates should hold up great in the boat environment.

ckalupa

Seaman

The two booth table (metal) rings are also just screwed in to the floor - those are some pretty stout screws but my impact driver removed them pretty easily too. The screws that were the hardest to deal with were the ones that attach the stairs to the floor. You will also want to plan something better for the steps than just laminate IMO as they can be pretty slick if they are wet (depending on the laminate). The carpet on the steps or some other non-slip should be considered.

rpdwyer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for posting back. Will likely just try to move the base to the forward berth to get it out of the way while I work.

As for the flooring, a teak and holly install looks overly complicated... gluing each strip and piece together. Still looking at alternatives, but one is the following flooring material from Home Depot... it's water proof:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...=allure+red+cherry&storeId=10051#.UIaWFWl24zY

It's called Allure Ultra Red Cherry... and the color will match the cabinets very well.

Still contemplating other products though.

--Rick

ckalupa

Seaman

Actually I think any of the laminates for this project would be WAAAYYYY too much work but that is just me :)

The floor that is left when you pull up the carpet is not going to be laminate ready. Chances are there will be some cracking in places on the subfloor too. You will need to sand down the residual carpet bond (cement) or put something over it as a new subfloor. You will also find that the subfloor is not as "flat and level" as you think for a laminate type floor application even after sanding. I personally would not use the planked floating floors you have linked (like the kinds sold at sams and home depot for the home do-it-yourselfer regardless if it is waterproof) based on what I saw, at least not without putting a new sub floor on it.

Maybe something like that strip product that nuteak has would be easier in strips and you can heat them to bend around the curved edges like by the beds and closet (assume your layout is similar to mine). Then you also have to deal with making it look like it was intended to be around the sewer tank access under the floor (right in front of the sink area) and the hinged access panel to that sump by the base of the steps. You dont want to seal that sewer tank closed without future access considerations as that is when it will develop problems :) At least it would if I did it...

Not trying to talk you out of it. Just pointing out some of the things I saw when replacing the carpet in mine. And, the carpet makes it quieter in the cabin. I think my whole carpet (big remnant of a high quality pc) was done, all-in, for about $600 installed (includes the beers for the helpers).

By the way - have you considered the issues associated with a floating floor when you take it out on the open water and go bouncing down the waves?

ckalupa

Seaman

There is another thread further down "04 Cabrio 310 refurb" where they installed the holly and teak. Later model but it came out great from the pictures posted.

rpdwyer

Seaman Apprentice

Hi.
Yes I have thought about the "floating" aspect of it and others that have used this product in boats indicated that they did in fact glue it down... which is likely they way I would go if I went with the allure. I have read the refurb thread... and that floor is a plywood veneer which looks very nice. That's a possibility as well... but veneers are not water proof. Still much thinking to be done. My carpet is in fine shape... it looks new... so it's not an issue of wanting to replace because it's dirty or stained. I just really like the look of teak/holly or a wood floor in general.

--Rick