Gas strut on engine hatch

jimrobeson

Cadet
Does anyone know what size the strut is that holds up the engine hatch on a 2000 Larson 330 Cabrio? The one that is on mine doesn't even come close to holding up the hatch nor does it help you when lifting. I am also wondering if it is even mounted in the proper place...mine is located at the rear of the hatch where it hinges. Seems to me that it should be more forward, maybe about middle of the hatch??

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

It's probably lost the gas in it and needs replaced. Look on the side of the shock for anything about force value. To find a replacement,you need to know the extended and collapsed length, along with the type of ends on it. Once you know that you can find another.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or get the part number off the side, google it and you will find hundreds of sellers.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There was another post recently for the exact same issue. I don't know how his came out . But see if you can search and find it. There could be some interesting info to read. JMHO

alldodge

Staff member
I replaced the ones on my CAT backhoe, for around $10 a piece. CAT wanted $60 a piece. They can be found just need some info to look around

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There are about 3 manufactures of gas springs who then sell to the middlemen who sell to the supply houses who sell to the boat maker. Cut out the middleman. Most are made by suspa or stabilus

jforrest1

Seaman
No Title

I have a 310 and here is a pic that someone took when I was looking to buy the boat. I can tell you it is a lot cleaner! The picture isn't great but gives you an idea where the strut is located on the hatch opening. It is on the upper right side of the photo.

Attachments

• photo254546.jpg
    photo254546.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1

jimrobeson

Cadet
I have a 310 and here is a pic that someone took when I was looking to buy the boat. I can tell you it is a lot cleaner! The picture isn't great but gives you an idea where the strut is located on the hatch opening. It is on the upper right side of the photo.

Thanks jforrest1 !! That is where mine are located as well. And they don't allow the hatch to open completely like they are too short. I truly believe you could put two brand new struts and they would not hold this hatch up unless you move then lower bracket more forward.

jforrest1

Seaman
Mine is short as well but there is a clip where strut attaches. It is like a ball and socket joint. I just unclip it and temporarily unhook the strut when I have to spend some time down there or when I need better access.