2000 18FS bad about porpoising

mlfrancis

Cadet
Hello All,
I've got a new to me 2000 Javelin 18FS with a Johnson 150. I'm probably the third owner and a previous owner had trim tabs and hydrofoil on it. When I got it, the hydrofoil and trim tabs had been removed. They were removed prior to the owner before me. The boat runs great and is in good enough shape for the money, heck, long as it floats and runs it's good for me.

Trouble is it porpoises really bad even on pretty calm water. I haven't had it on glass smooth water, but it seems to start porpoising even in the lightest chop. I had it out a dozen times tubing with the kids and wanted to get it on plane faster and at a slower speed so I put a hydrofoil on the cavitation plate and it really really made a remarkeable difference. However, now if I have it trimed down too much, the boat lists to the passenger side when at speed. Trim up too much and it lists to the driver side. When it's trimmed what I think is about right, it rids pretty balanced left to right. That sounds like a good thing to me as it works about like a trim guage. However, that is also when it starts to porpise if I give it much speed. Around 35-45mph is where it starts to porpoise and the motor is only running about 3500-4000 rpm and could go a bit more. I think WOT is listed as 4500-5500 in the engine manual, but I don't have it handy at the moment.

It was bad about porpoising before the hydrofoil, but with the hydrofoil I get the side effect of listing left if trimmed too far down and listing right if trimmed too far up, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it.

The only other boat I've ever had was a 15ft 40hp with a hydrofoil that runs about 29mph if I'm lucky. I have it manually trimmed (no electric) and water has to get rough for it to porpoise. What is odd is the old boat is a flatter bottom tri-hull where the Javelin has more of a center V to it.

Anywho, after all this babble, does anyone else have the same problem or any tips or solutions? Would trim tabs be worth putting back on it?

Thanks in advance!
Lynn

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: 2000 18FS bad about porpoising

Ditch the hydrofoil and get some Nauticus Trim tabs. The hydofoils cause added stress to your motor and performance though good when coming out of the water, is poor in almost every other area. The faster the boat, the worse the effects of a hydrofoil. I have referred this link to many here and on other forums just so you can see what the different things do, hydro-foils, trim tabs and motor trim. I have Nauticus tabs and could not be more pleased with them. The problem with hydro foils is that they are attached to the driveline, unlike tabs that are set at the most outward position on the boat relating to a much more stable platform. These will cut your planing speed in half. This link is about understanding boat attitude and performance. Check it out, there is alot of good info here. http://www.nauticusinc.com/pdf/nauticus_smart_tabs_tech_info.pdf

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look at Nauticus smart tabs SX. They make an incredible difference, and at 129.00 you will be amazed at the improvement. They will definitely solve your list problem. Also, if you put on a set, you'll need to get rid of the hydrofoil. Trim tabs and the foil work against each other. I put some on my '21 OB and saw an incredible improvement. Check out their website, all their claims are true.

mlfrancis

Cadet

Thanks guys. I've been reading the info and the trim tabs sound like a good solution. The hydrofoil worked great on my smaller boat and does get this one out of the water faster, but like the information said, there are some odd handling characteristics when under speed. I'm going to have to think about the tabs. My only concern is if they will get in the way of my side imaging fish finder. I'll have to research that on another board.

Thanks again for the tips!

billfisherman

Recruit

I have the exact boat motor combination and have been battling the same problem ever since I bought the boat a few years back. I have tried several combinations of different hydrofoils, aluminum / stainless /3 blade /4 blade props with a jackplate / without a jackplate. The only thing I haven?t tried is the trim tabs and it looks like this may be the only option left, as much as I don't want to install them. I?ve owned several boats including bass boats (mainly Skeeeters) over the years and have had the support of a large marina being in the family trying to come up with a solution, short of trim tabs. The easy solution would have been to get rid of the boat, but it's become a bit of a challenge. This must be an inherit problem with the hull on this boat model. If you do install the tabs, let us know how they work out.

siraltitude

Recruit

I am having the same problems with my 18FS, only difference is mine has a 115hp motor.

The stingray hydrofoil did help with the porpoising and helping it plane out quicker but I am also having a problem with the boat leaning to whichever side I happen to be setting on and the boat is hard to keep in a staright line with it leaning and the steering also gets very hard while this is happening. It is hard to trim the boat up to see if that will help. Actually I never got the boat up to top speed yet because the leaning scares me so I am not able to get it trimmed all the way out.

Do you all think these will help my problems also? This is the 3rd boat I have owned and the first boat I ever had this problem with so I am not actually enjoying the boat like I should.

mlfrancis did you ever get a set and try them?

Any info from you all would be great!

mlfrancis

Cadet

I have not added the trim tabs to my boat yet. I've been too busy to use the boat now that it's full swing Cub Scout season. ;-) I am going to take the hydrofoil back off because with just me in the boat, it gets plum squirlly. If there's two people in the boat then not as bad, but it's coming off. I will probably try the trim tabs and will let you know how it goes once I do, but if you beat me to it, let me know how it goes. I found them at Bass Pro for $120 or something like that. Didn't think it was too bad.

siraltitude

Recruit

If I beat you to it I will post on here. Atm I am adding a water pressure gauge and voltmeter on my dash and doing a little rewiring and adding a new fishfinder once I get done with that stuff I plan on trying the smart tabs and see how it goes.

I am really hoping they help.

Keep me posted and I will do the same in return, Thx!